Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

12.11.2014 15:31:07
[Solved] Remote Buddy stops wifi from working (10.10)
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Under MAC OSX 10.10, wifi will not function when Remote Buddy connects to a wii remote via bluetooth.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Last edited: 13.11.2014 18:59:45 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

12.11.2014 22:49:02
Re: Remote Buddy stops wifi from working (10.10)
View

What you are observing is not a software problem - it's a physical problem with both Bluetooth and WiFi sharing the same 2.4 GHz wireless band.

If you add a Wii Remote to Remote Buddy, it has to scan for it on a regular basis as part of its support for that device, which leads to more Bluetooth traffic. This can lead to more packet collisions and have an impact on the performance of your WiFi.

Apple, in a knowledge base article on this subject (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1365) therefore suggests:

"Minimize the number of active Bluetooth wireless devices you have connected to the computer or operating in the area."

The easiest way to avoid interference between your Bluetooth devices and your WiFi network in the first place, however, is to delegate both to different bands: if your base station and Mac both support 5 GHz WiFi networks, setting them up to use the 5 GHz band will avoid this issue entirely. 

User

13.11.2014 12:38:31
View

Hmmm... I didn't have this issue under 10.9 and could use remote buddy with bluetooth headphones and still use wifi. I guess Apple must have changed things!

Anyway, how do I assign bluetooth and wifi to different bands. I have searched on Google but can't find any solutions.

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it! 

User

13.11.2014 12:52:01
View

Apple has changed a lot under the hood regarding WiFi in 10.10. The current public beta seed notes that testers should focus on WiFi issues in the 10.10.1 beta seed, so I guess there are more people out there having issue with WiFi under 10.10. Yours sounds oddly familiar, though, like a textbook Bluetooth+WiFi interference issue.

Did you start using the Wii Remote under 10.10 - or did you also use it under 10.9?

The band (2.4 or 5 GHz) used by your WiFi is something you set in your router. If your router supports 5 GHz networks, you should be able to change the band in its settings (often a web interface).

Before doing so, however, please verify your Mac supports 5 GHz networks - or that you have another way of connecting to your router, so you have a chance to reverse that setting if not all of your devices support 5 GHz networks.

Some routers also support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFis at the same time. If yours supports that, I recommend giving the 5 GHz network a different name, so you (and your devices) can tell the two apart. 

User

13.11.2014 18:59:27
View

Did you start using the Wii Remote under 10.10 - or did you also use it under 10.9?

I've been using it since 10.6

However, I followed your advice and switched to 5Ghz and it all works perfectly now. So, as you noted, it's because Apple changed things.

Thanks for all your help. This issue has been a really pain, so I really appreciate your support.

Thanks also for making an awesome program. It's one of the best apps on the Mac.