Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

08.12.2014 04:31:54
Can't get a custom behavior to work
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Howdy. I've recently decided to give using a Mac mini as an HTPC a whirl and am back to using Remote Buddy for the first time in a few years. I'm having a nagging issue with creating a custom behavior and just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Basically I want to create a custom action that simply presses a keyboard combo to activate a Display Set in SwitchResX. I have that Display Set ready be activated in SRX using CMD-OPT-CTRL-T. This should work globally... no need to have a specific app selected first.

I've pored over the instructions for creating a custom behavior. Using the Action Factory, I created a new action with "implementation" being the keystroke CMD-OPT-CTRL-T. In the Behavior Factory, I created a new behavior and added the action made earlier. I've compiled it, test drove it, the whole 9 yards. The new custom behavior cannot be found when I go back to my Remote Buddy Preferences to add this to my menu.

Thinking maybe it was a problem with SwitchResX, I created a new keystroke to be sent to Finder consisting of CMD-K to open the Connect to Server popup. Nothing. Doesn't work. I'm completely at a dead end here and have no idea what to do next.

I'm running Mac OS 10.10.1 and installed apps are very minimal, consisting of Plex, Mobile Mouse Server, Remote Buddy, Handbrake, and Onyx. That's it for 3rd party apps. I also have VNC enabled. And this is an otherwise virgin installation of Yosemite on a new Mac mini. The user I'm logged in as is a standard (not administrative) user, if that makes a difference. Any assistance would be mucho appreciated! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

10.12.2014 11:13:02
Re: Can't get a custom behavior to work
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for the detailed description!

If all you want to add is one command you can use globally, please follow the steps for "How do I add a global action I can use everywhere?" at

http://helpbooks.iospirit.net/remotebuddy/english/howto.html#AddGlobalAction

You don't need to create a Behaviour for this.

If you want to create a Behaviour, however, and it is not associated to any application, please make sure that:

1) Behaviour Factory > Specification and Metadata > Behaviour requires application is *unchecked* 
2) Behaviour Factory > Specification and Metadata > Behaviour Bundle Metadata > Identifier contains a unique identifier and not the default. 
3) you selected Behaviour Factory > Gears icon below list on the left > Compile, testdrive and permanently install Scripted Behaviour.

Otherwise, it may not be loaded because its application doesn't exist (1), another Behaviour already exists with the same identifier (2) or the Behaviour was not compiled, loaded and installed in the first place (3).

Hope that helps!