Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

28.02.2015 16:53:07
Can Remote Buddy SEND signals as well as receive them?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'm about to make the uncomfortable jump from 10.7 to 10.10 which has revealed a major problem in my television setup.

Here is how I currently tell EyeTV what to do:

Apple Remote -> Manta TR1 USB IR receiver -> Remote buddy -> EyeTV

So this works. I can send channel change commands to EyeTV and it accepts them.

THEN, EyeTV needs to carry the channel change. Currently here is how that works:

EyeTV -> ZephIR virtual remote -> ZephIR USB IR Blaster -> cable box.

That works in 10.7 but the software is EOL and won't work in 10.10.

So here is the question: I notice that my Cisco Explorer 4700 cable box has USB input. If I get an USB A male -> A male cable could Remote Buddy send the channel change commands?

Thanks in advance. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

02.03.2015 11:28:02
Re: Can Remote Buddy SEND signals as well as receive them?
View

Remote Buddy doesn't support the ZephIR or Cisco Explorer 4700 cable box at this point.

This support document, however, says, that you might be able to use iRed (http://www.filewell.com) as an alternative:

http://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1139750-how-do-i-configure-eyetv-for-set-top-box-support-us-and-canada-

That may be a solution you can implement NOW but will most likely require (pricy) new IR hardware.

If you can wait a bit longer before upgrading to 10.10: I've been working on IR blaster support in Remote Buddy for a while (and already have a working prototype) and hope to share results within the next 12 months. This is purely informal, though: as priorities constantly shift, I can only make estimates, not promises, regarding future features. 

User

03.03.2015 17:08:44
Re: Can Remote Buddy SEND signals as well as receive them?
View

Thanks for replying. I actually just bought iRed and the hardware but ran into a little difficulty getting it set up. I figured if I could drop one more piece of software/link in the chain that would be better anyway.

Great news to hear about the forthcoming IR blaster support! Instead of holding my breath I'll keep hacking away at iRed but I will be on the lookout for updates to Remote Buddy.

Cheers.