Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

12.03.2015 20:36:18
Ajax Remote doesn't work on “computer-to-computer”/ad-hoc network
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
If I create a network from my Mac, using "Create Network" under the WiFi icon, I can join that network from my iPhone, but Ajax can't see or connect to the Remote Buddy server, even though both devices are on the same network.

Is there something I can tweak to make this work, or is it possible to make Ajaz work in this scenario?

Would be very useful where there is no open WiFi network available. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

16.03.2015 11:54:01
Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_=5Bremotebuddy=5Fforum=5D_Ajax_Remote_doesn?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?=27t_work_on_=93computer-to-computer=94/ad-hoc_ne?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?twork?=
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

If I create a network from my Mac, using "Create Network" under the WiFi icon, I can join that network from my iPhone, but Ajax can't see or connect to the Remote Buddy server, even though both devices are on the same network.

They are on the same network, but the network does not have a DHCP server that assigns IP addresses and other settings to the devices connected to it. Usually, devices will end up in different IP address ranges, so Bonjour and routing won't work.

Is there something I can tweak to make this work, or is it possible to make Ajaz work in this scenario?

One way to work around that is to manually assign static IP addresses and network masks to all devices involved.

In general, I would not advice to use computer-to-computer networks, though, as they are unencrypted and - therefore - all data exchanged between your Mac and your iPhone could be listened to by third parties.

Would be very useful where there is no open WiFi network available.

I've spent several months last year working on (and solving) this problem and _hope_ I can share the solution with everybody in 2015 as missing parts are completed. Stay tuned.

Cheers, 
Felix