Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

25.03.2015 15:24:52
MAC MINI + LOGITECH HARMONY (ULTIMATE) + PLEX or XMBC setup
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all,

I was impressed by a demonstration I watched of how the 3 aforementioned system serve as a seamless home media entertainment system.

I am not used to apple OS system and wondering if anyone here can kindly advice on how this (MAC MINI + LOGITECH HARMONY (ULTIMATE) will usually be set up to that effect please. Apparently I could use REMOTE BUDDY, XMBC or more alternatives, not sure how this is done.

System

Mac Mini (HDMI connection to amplifier) - OS X Yosemite - 3.06 GHZ intel core 2 duo 
Logitech Harmony smart remote / iOS app 
PLEX software ..XMBC

Thanks in advance and apologies if this question has been asked before.

Last edited: 25.03.2015 15:52:39 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

25.03.2015 20:53:02
Re: MAC MINI + LOGITECH HARMONY (ULTIMATE) + PLEX setup
View

Thanks for asking.

You can find a complete How-To on setting up the Harmony Smart Control with Remote Buddy here:

https://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/184/HowTo-Set-up-the-Logitech-Harmony-Smart-Control-with-Remote-Buddy-and-control-100-Mac-apps-with-it/

I'm working on a version of the guide for the Harmony Ultimate. The necessary steps are pretty much identical, though.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

26.03.2015 11:02:09
View

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Can I clarify these issues.

- Does remote buddy need to be set to start-up at login, likewise PLEX / XBMC 
- The set up link you directed me to doesnt include how PLEX or XBMC can be incoporated..

My remote has bluetooth and infrared capabilities.

Crucially what I am after is

Press an ACTIVITY on my universal remote e.g (watch movies) which then opens PLEX or XBMC automatically. 
Will my MAC MINI have to be on 24/7..as I was hoping my remote will power on MAC MINI and PLEX/XBMC only when needed.

Any idea please. 

User

26.03.2015 14:28:01
Re: Re: MAC MINI + LOGITECH HARMONY (ULTIMATE) + PLEX setup
View

I keep my Mini on, so I can't speak to powering up or down.

But I have been able to achieve both "Watch Plex" and "Watch iTunes" activities... The key is to map all the PS3 buttons, as shown in the walk through for Remote Buddy.

The breakthrough for me was selecting the corresponding PS3 controller buttons (the triangle, for instance) then mapping that to a button on the Harmony.. Then setting up that button as a global activity for starting Plex.

I know how you feel; I just went through this same experience. I'm not at home to check all of my settings, but I can offer more insight when I am.

Mapping an actual PS3 controller button to a Harmony button was the part that I was missing.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 26, 2015, at 5:02 AM, sunky <remotebuddy_forum.reply.11.46258.16961..9f4ca24182af66cb@forums.iospirit.net> wrote:

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Can I clarify these issues.

- Does remote buddy need to be set to start-up at login, likewise PLEX / XBMC 
- The set up link you directed me to doesnt include how PLEX or XBMC can be incoporated..

My remote has bluetooth and infrared capabilities.

Crucially what I am after is

Press an ACTIVITY on my universal remote e.g (watch movies) which then opens PLEX or XBMC automatically. 
Will my MAC MINI have to be on 24/7..as I was hoping my remote will power on MAC MINI and PLEX/XBMC only when needed.

Any idea please.

[standard mail footer removed]

User

26.03.2015 18:07:48
View

Thanks much DanG, I will really appreciate the instruction on the settings. 
User

27.03.2015 02:57:02
Re: Re: MAC MINI + LOGITECH HARMONY (ULTIMATE) + PLEX setup
View

I see that I mapped the PS3 Circle to the Record button and the PS3 Triangle to the DVR button on the Harmony.

Then I set "Activate iTunes Behaviour" to Record and "Activate Plex Home Theater Behavior" to DVR in the Remote Buddy app.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 26, 2015, at 12:07 PM, sunky <remotebuddy_forum.reply.11.46258.16964.992ebcf14cb7272f@forums.iospirit.net> wrote:

Thanks much DanG, I will really appreciate the instruction on the settings..

[standard mail footer removed]

User

27.03.2015 13:44:55
View

DanG,

Sorry I have to take you backwards on the set up.

Remote buddy is now present as an activity in my Logitech remote following Felix set up instruction.

I have set "Activate Plex Home Theater Behavior" under global mapping to DVR in the Remote Buddy app

I mapped the short and long press on remote to TRIANGE and I can now see the PS3 functions like triangle etc.

Does that mean to view plex,

I need to launch REMOTE BUDDY as an activity

and

Press either DVR button or selecting TRIANGLE on the remote to launch Plex Home Theatre?

Regards

Last edited: 27.03.2015 13:45:49 

User

27.07.2015 15:54:08
Removed on request by customer
View

Removed on request by customer 
User

29.07.2015 09:51:01
View

Since it's a duplicate, I hope it's ok if I answer your question in https://www.iospirit.com/support/forums/remotebuddy/thread/17013/

Cheers, 
Felix