Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.04.2015 02:35:00
EyeTV Duplicate actions and forcing focus
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all, Im having a strange problem since the latest update of Remote Buddy Express 1.26.2/ EyeTV 3. Im not sure which update is causing the issue as I updated both on the same system restart!

I am using Remote Buddy Express to control my mac mini HTPC which usually has EyeTV running always (muting itself when its not in focus), and Plex/ Kodi activated in the foreground when I want to watch a movie or stream content.

Within EyeTV when pressing the Up/Down buttons on the remote it seems to input twice, as in the volume increases 2 steps or the channel selection moves Up/Down twice.

This by itself seems to be a bit annoying but tolerable but the weirdest part is when activating another behaviour (Plex or Kodi) it seems the keep one focus on EyeTV and one of the activated behaviour. This results in changing channels on EyeTV in the background as well as forcing EyeTV to the foreground when pushing the menu button within another application.

I have tried re-installing Remote Buddy express but unfortunately the problem prevails!

Has anybody else come across this issue or has any suggestion to get around it? I am currently controlling it by quitting EyeTV when I use another application, but this is not the best solution IMO due to the slow startup time of EyeTV!

Sorry in advance if this question has been answered previously, I have done some searching but havent found anything! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

07.04.2015 10:23:01
Re: EyeTV Duplicate actions and forcing focus
View

Thanks for asking.

Remote Buddy only controls one application at a time and will always only trigger one action per button. The responsible code hasn't been touched for years.

What you're likely seeing is that

1) Remote Buddy receives your remote control commands through the Apple IR Receiver of your Mac - and triggers the associated action

2) EyeTV receives your remote control commands through the IR receiver built into your EyeTV hardware - and reacts accordingly as if Remote Buddy wouldn't exist.

If it is that, there are two fixes:

1) Covering the IR Receiver of your EyeTV hardware, so that it no longer receives IR signals. 
2) There's also a preference for EyeTV to ignore all Apple Remote input. You can tell EyeTV to stop reacting to Apple Remote commands by 
i) quitting EyeTV 
ii) clear the OS X settings cache by typing into Terminal.app: 
killall cfprefsd 
iii) then tell EyeTV to ignore Apple Remote commands by typing into Terminal.app: 
defaults write com.elgato.eyetv 'use apple remote' NO 
iv) launching EyeTV

You can tell EyeTV to react to Apple Remote commands again by 
i) quitting EyeTV 
ii) clear the OS X settings cache by typing into Terminal.app: 
killall cfprefsd 
iii) then tell EyeTV to ignore Apple Remote commands by typing into Terminal.app: 
defaults write com.elgato.eyetv 'use apple remote' YES 
iv) launching EyeTV

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

07.04.2015 11:21:13
Re: EyeTV Duplicate actions and forcing focus
View

Thank you, you were correct it was EyeTV also picking up the apple remote. Your fix for stopping EyeTV from accepting apple remote input fixed the problem.

Thanks for all your help, even if it wasn't your software causing the issue!