Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

17.05.2015 20:46:19
Command-Q
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I think I must be missing something.

I want to quit iTunes by pressing the Exit key on my Harmony Smart Control remote. So, I created a Custom Action called "Quit iTunes" and mapped it to the Exit key. The action consists of the keystrokes command-q.

But it doesn't work. When I press Exit I get a beep signal and iTunes remains. I've tried using this custom action with iTunes only and globally with the same result.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in RB?

Thanks.

Jim 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

18.05.2015 09:59:01
Re: Command-Q
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Jim,

thanks for asking.

There are a number of situations that I can imagine where you'd hear a beep:

1) iTunes has a modal window opened (f.ex. an alert - or its preferences)

2) another application was active at the time you pressed the button (and therefore an other Behaviour, where this button wasn't assigned to an action). You can see which Behaviour is currently active when you click on the remote icon in your Mac's menu bar.

3) the Exit button isn't set up correctly on the Harmony side (please see "Step 3: Optimizing the Harmony configuration > Unlocking all buttons of the Smart Control" at https://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/184/-/)

If it's none of this, please send one screenshot of your action and another showing where you mapped it to info - at - iospirit - com.

Alternatively, you could also assign the action "Behaviours > Quit currently controlled application" at

a) Prefs > Mapping > iTunes > Exit if you want this functionality just for iTunes

b) Prefs > Mapping > Global mapping > Exit if you want this functionality available through that button for all apps.

That action uses a more robust way (Apple Events) to tell applications to quit, avoiding the complexities simulated keystrokes and OS X event routing sometimes have. Applications can still opt not to quit when receiving this event, though (which is exactly what iTunes does when you have a dialog or its prefs window open).

Hope that helps!

Cheers, 
Felix