Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

28.01.2016 10:32:38
Remote Buddy Express - No 10.6.8 Support
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi,

Hopefully this post doesn't get me kicked off the forum. :)

I love Remote Buddy, and purchased Remote Buddy Express on the App Store some time ago. I have an old Mac Mini (1.66GHz Intel Core Duo–won't run 10.7-10.11) that is a TV/media player (running EyeTV and movies via Front Row). Whilst not as fast as it could be, it works fine. At least that was until Remote Buddy stopped working. I don't know if it was the App Store permissions debacle or if the app some how was corrupted. Either way, I deleted it, thinking I could re-download it from the Mac App Store. Except that the latest build of RBE requires 10.7 and my hardware doesn't support it. And unfortunately the developer of RBE hasn't catered for older versions of the app being available (you can do that in the App Store).

Do any of you know a way to get an older version of RBE that will work on my trusty Mac? Thanks! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Mac App Store
User

28.01.2016 11:00:01
Re: Remote Buddy Express - No 10.6.8 Support
View

Hi!

I love Remote Buddy, and purchased Remote Buddy Express on the App Store some time ago. I have an old Mac Mini (1.66GHz Intel Core Duo–won't run 10.7-10.11) that is a TV/media player (running EyeTV and movies via Front Row). Whilst not as fast as it could be, it works fine. At least that was until Remote Buddy stopped working. I don't know if it was the App Store permissions debacle or if the app some how was corrupted. Either way, I deleted it, thinking I could re-download it from the Mac App Store. Except that the latest build of RBE requires 10.7 and my hardware doesn't support it. And unfortunately the developer of RBE hasn't catered for older versions of the app being available (you can do that in the App Store).

The developer - me - has, in fact, catered for older versions of the app being available:

As a matter of fact, the "last compatible version" setting for Remote Buddy Express has always been such that the App Store should offer ALL old versions, which results in this fancy list in iTunes Connect:

http://r76i.imgup.net/Bildschirmd58f.png

Unfortunately, setting things up correctly - as I have - is all I can do from my side. If that feature of the Mac App Store is not working correctly - or at all - I have no way to fix the Mac App Store. In that case, please contact Apple for support, so they know about it and can fix it.

The switch to requiring OS X 10.7 became necessary after Apple - without any prior (or even public) announcement - blocked all uploads of new app versions using QuickTime. Since, for capturing video input (a feature of AJAX Remote), the only alternative API - AVFoundation - is only available as of OS X 10.7, I had the choice to:

a) no longer update the Express version 
b) completely remove the video input capture feature 
c) re-implement this feature based on AVFoundation, maintain a 10.6.8-backwards-compatible code path for Remote Buddy, while stripping any QuickTime-dependencies from the Express version for the Mac App Store, while giving particular attention to the "last compatible version" setting in iTunes Connect to support customers still running 10.6.8.

I picked C.

Do any of you know a way to get an older version of RBE that will work on my trusty Mac? Thanks!

The only way to get an older version is 
a) through backups 
b) through the Mac App Store's "Last compatible version" feature (provided Apple hasn't broken it at the time you want to use it)

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

28.01.2016 12:40:39
View

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Sounds like the "Last compatible version" on the Mac App Store is broken. It is saying; Null(?), and that my machine is not compatible and requires 10.7. Is there any way you can escalate this to Apple?

Thanks again. Keep up the good work.

Troy

User

30.01.2016 05:24:12
View

Hi Felix,

On my 10.6.8 Mac Mini, in the Mac App Store Purchases tab, for all of the other apps I cannot download, it says that I require a 64 bit processor, but for yours it says that I require Mac OS 10.7.

Is there anything in this that might assist you in diagnosing the issue.

Thank again, 
Troy 

User

30.01.2016 14:11:01
Re: Re: Remote Buddy Express - No 10.6.8 Support
View

Hi Troy,

I'm sorry, but I can't assist with issues that you're experiencing with the Mac App Store. I have always marked all past versions to be available in iTunes Connect - which is the extent of influence given to developers by Apple.

If you experience any issues with the Mac App Store, please contact Apple directly. I unfortunately can't do so on your behalf.

Regarding those messages: 
Chances are the Mac App Store checks for incompatibilities with your system in a given order and CPU architecture is first and the OS version follows after that. Since Remote Buddy currently is a 32 Bit application, it is compatible with your CPU architecture, but the current version requires 10.7. For other applications that are 64 Bit only, that's may be the first check to fail and therefore what gets displayed to you.

But I can only guess here regarding the inner workings of the App Store. As said, I've done everything from my side to make old versions available. But the infrastructure to actually make these versions available to customers is completely handled by Apple - and I have no insight or influence on it at all.

All the best, 
Felix Schwarz