Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.06.2016 01:13:01
Behaviors missing following upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi Felix, 
I recently upgraded my mac mini from 10.10 to 10.11.5. Immediately following the upgrade, Remote Buddy asked to install an upgrade and relaunch, which I did. 
Following the Remote Buddy upgrade, I noticed that several Behaviors had gone missing, including Safari, Firefox and MythFrontend. I tried running LSRefresh on these apps, but that did not help. 
Fortunately, I noticed that there was the application RemoteBuddy.old in the /Applications folder. This version of Remote Buddy still contained all of the Behaviors. 
How do I get the latest Remote Buddy to recognize all Behaviors?

Thanks, 
Steve 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

06.06.2016 13:17:01
Re: Behaviors missing following upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan
View

Hi Steve,

thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The Behaviours in question still ship with the latest version of Remote Buddy and should also get loaded automatically when launching Remote Buddy.

To determine which Behaviours to load, Remote Buddy consults OS X Launch Services and only loads those Behaviours that OS X Launch Services says it knows.

In the past, LSRefresh should point Launch Services to the right direction when correcting errors. The API LSRefresh uses has been deprecated by Apple with OS X 10.10 however, so I don't know if it still effective.

Just launching the apps in question should have the same effect, though. So if you quit RB, launch Safari and launch RB again, that Behaviour should also be loaded.

If not, there's still a chance that something went wrong during the upgrade and you ended up with a bad Launch Services database. Resetting Launch Services, then, should fix the issue. Here's a article on how to do this, should you need it:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/rebuild-launchservices-fix-duplicate-entries-os-xs-open-menu/

- Felix 

User

07.06.2016 05:50:01
Re: Behaviors missing following upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan
View

I tried quitting RB, launching the apps and re-launching RB, but the behaviors did not appear. 
I tried both methods on the tekrevue blog: the terminal command and deleting files in ~/Library/Preferences with “LaunchServices” in the name and rebooting, but the behaviors did not appear.

To be clear: version 1.28.2 includes behaviors for Safari, Firefox and Mythfrontend; version 1.28.3 does not.

Do you know where 10.11.5 keeps the Launch Services database? For example, while the tekrevue blog instructions were written for Mavericks, I did not have a file called com.apple.LaunchServices.plist in ~/Library/Preferences.

Steve

On Jun 6, 2016, at 4:17 AM, Felix <remotebuddy_forum.reply.11.9278.17166.7f4e40a1546b79a2@forums.iospirit.net> wrote:

Hi Steve,

thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The Behaviours in question still ship with the latest version of Remote Buddy and should also get loaded automatically when launching Remote Buddy.

To determine which Behaviours to load, Remote Buddy consults OS X Launch Services and only loads those Behaviours that OS X Launch Services says it knows.

In the past, LSRefresh should point Launch Services to the right direction when correcting errors. The API LSRefresh uses has been deprecated by Apple with OS X 10.10 however, so I don't know if it still effective.

Just launching the apps in question should have the same effect, though. So if you quit RB, launch Safari and launch RB again, that Behaviour should also be loaded.

If not, there's still a chance that something went wrong during the upgrade and you ended up with a bad Launch Services database. Resetting Launch Services, then, should fix the issue. Here's a article on how to do this, should you need it:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/rebuild-launchservices-fix-duplicate-entries-os-xs-open-menu/

- Felix

[standard mail footer removed]