Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

25.11.2016 15:04:10
RB not pairing
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi, I have a mac book pro 10.11.6 I am trying to pair and use remote buddy version 1.30. I have looked at a you tube video on this. I think when I go preference>hardware I should see more than I do. I just see virtual receiver, no bluetooth sections or built in receiver. I have tried pairing by holding the remote near the screen and holding down the menu button and the right hand button for more than 5 seconds but nothing. I have remote buddy in my dock ok. I am using the white 6 button mac remote. I have spent so much time. I tried your diagnostic facility but it says it can't find my remote. Help please 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

25.11.2016 15:06:18
Re: RB not pairing
View

I have a new batter in the remote and it works perfectly with my iMac 
User

26.11.2016 11:25:01
View

Do you see this happing on a MacBook Pro with a Retina screen by any chance? These no longer ship with a built-in IR Receiver.

Using the Apple Remote with these requires Remote Buddy and a supported, external IR Receiver connected via USB. You can find a list of currently supported IR receivers on the "Hardware" page of the Remote Buddy website.

Alternatively, if you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 8 or later, you could also use the free Remote Buddy Mobile app to control your Mac.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

26.11.2016 12:00:03
View

Thank you Felix, yes I have the retina mac book. So I downloaded the app to my mac book. There is not much information at the app store. Does the app only work on iPhone, iPad's and not on a mac book, this could be my problem. I thought getting the app instantly was better than a USB which I was having difficulty sourcing. Best Lucy. 
User

26.11.2016 21:55:01
View

Hi Lucy,

you already have "Remote Buddy" on your MacBook, which acts as the server on your WiFi network.

For your iPhone and iPad, you need to get "Remote Buddy Mobile" from the App Store: 
https://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/mobile/

All necessary steps to set up the connection between the apps on the Mac and iPhone/iPad are explained inside the Remote Buddy Mobile App.

Getting external IR receivers can indeed be a bit challenging, but if you tell me which country you need one shipped to, I might be able to point you to a supplier.

Cheers, 
Felix