Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

23.08.2006 20:08:59
Pg Up/Pg Down for Preview.app
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I'd like to use Remote Buddy and the Preview application as a PDF reader.

However, I tend to magnify the PDF, so the entire page is not visible at once - so I can't use the "Next Page" "Previous Page" commands.

Being able to trigger the keyboard's "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys would be what I need from within Preview, but those are not among the preset actions.

Is there some way I can add those?  And additionally could those be added to the default list in future versions of Remote Buddy?

Thanks.

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

04.09.2006 22:57:02
Re: Pg Up/Pg Down for Preview.app
View

Hello James,

sorry for the late reply. Your posting did scroll out of focus in 
Mail and I only found out that there's no reply to your post now that 
I looked over the forum directly on the website.

Regarding your question:

The "Page up" and "Page down" keys are already triggered by the 
Preview behaviour for its "Next page" and "Previous page" actions. By 
default they are mapped to the left and right buttons on the remote.

Hope that helps.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

08.09.2006 22:21:41
View

Felix,

Thank you for the reply - but the keyboard "Page Up" and "Page Down" have a different behavior in Preview than "Next Page" / "Previous Page".

To see the difference: 
1. Open a multi-page PDF in preview. 
2. Zoom In on the PDF until the entire page doesn't fit in the window - scroll windows appear. 
3. Using "Page Up" / "Page Down" on the keyboard it will scroll down the page first, and then move to the next page as necessary. (This is what I want) 
4. "Next Page" / "Previous Page" jumps to the top of the next/previous page, and doesn't scroll through the rest of the page.

Since I'd like to sit back from the computer and read the PDF, I need to zoom in pretty far (thus the need for the remote). So a "Page Up" / "Page Down" option would be great.

Thanks! 

User

11.09.2006 10:30:47
View

Hi,

my name is matthias, i am a new user to remote buddy. i am pretty satisfied with the application, just wanted to let you developers know, that i am facing just the same problem and would also regard it an extremely useful feature if i could emulate the scrolling function in preview-application.

thanks

matthias

Felix,

Thank you for the reply - but the keyboard "Page Up" and "Page Down" have a different behavior in Preview than "Next Page" / "Previous Page".

To see the difference: 
1. Open a multi-page PDF in preview. 
2. Zoom In on the PDF until the entire page doesn't fit in the window - scroll windows appear. 
3. Using "Page Up" / "Page Down" on the keyboard it will scroll down the page first, and then move to the next page as necessary. (This is what I want) 
4. "Next Page" / "Previous Page" jumps to the top of the next/previous page, and doesn't scroll through the rest of the page.

Since I'd like to sit back from the computer and read the PDF, I need to zoom in pretty far (thus the need for the remote). So a "Page Up" / "Page Down" option would be great.

Thanks! 

User

12.09.2006 01:46:02
Re: Re: Pg Up/Pg Down for Preview.app
View

Hello James, hello Matthias,

thanks for the explainations. Preview 7 does now have what you are 
looking for (scroll up / down actions).

Enjoy! :-)

Felix 

User

14.09.2006 11:54:00
View

Hi,

works perfect. Thanks a lot!

Best,

Matthias