Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

26.10.2006 21:42:26
Activate iTunes Visualizer in Full Screen?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Just recently bought RemoteBuddy, and am still getting the hang of it, but thus far I'm liking the customizability of it.

In my case, I have a Mac Mini as a media centre computer, connecting to my living room home entertainment system with 120" digital projection screen. I use Front Row, iTunes, and EyeTV primarily in this context.

I'm wondering if it be possible to set a pre-defined setting to activate the iTunes visualizer in full-screen mode? The current setting to toggle the visualizer only does so in the normal iTunes window, and does not place it into full-screen display.

My solution thus far has been to create a custom global action to send CMD-T and CMD-F directly to iTunes, which seems to be solving the problem at this point and working quite well, but I imagine it might be better if it were directly integrated.

I'm not sure if this next issue is an RB problem or a Front Row & iTunes issue, but as this is a global action, I can call it from elsewhere. The ability to kick in the full-screen visualizer after selecting a playlist through Front Row is very cool, and it works well up to a point....

The problem is that after I initiate the Visualizer from Front Row (since the commands are send to iTunes in the background), and then exit it to return to Front Row (where the playing track is still displayed), I lose most of the controls over Front Row. Prev/Next track still seems to work, but the play/pause and menu buttons stop doing anything at all (although holding down Menu will still bring up the RB overlay).

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours - Support for iTunes® & AirPlay®
Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

27.10.2006 00:21:01
Re: Activate iTunes Visualizer in Full Screen?
View

Hello Jesse,

thanks for sharing this.

Adding support for full screen toggling is real easy (and cool, too), 
so I'll add that feature to the set of core features.

Regarding your Front Row issue: if you enter the menu from inside 
Front Row, is the Front Row behaviour the currently active?

And, just to be sure, if you manually activate the iTunes behaviour 
when inside Front Row, does skipping back and forth still not work?

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to use the fullscreen 
iTunes visualizer while also in Front Row. I've never tried to do 
that and I'm thus not sure how and whether Front Row can handle this 
correctly.

Best regards, 
Felix 

User

27.10.2006 00:52:41
Re: Activate iTunes Visualizer in Full Screen?
View

I realize that I'm trying to cheat a bit in doing this. What I suspect is actually happening is that the iTunes application is left with the "focus" (ie, as the active app), yet Front Row, because of the way it operates, still has the screen.

Prev/Next probably work because the commands send to Front Row are equivalent to the commands sent to iTunes. Play/Pause actually restarts the track, and none of the other buttons do anything, except for holding down the Menu button, which of course brings up the RB overlay menu, by which I can then exit Front Row by selecting the "Quick Exit" option (and in fact this is about the only way I can out of Front Row at this point, short of doing a CMD-OPT-ESC operation).

The problem is that the only way the custom action can be made to work is to direct the CMD-T and CMD-F keystrokes specifically at iTunes and set it to activate iTunes as the application. Otherwise, the options don't do anything unless iTunes is already active.

I'm going to play with it a bit more and see if I can't create another custom action that will reactivate Front Row when shutting down the visualizer.