Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

05.12.2011 15:13:13
Remote Buddy, OSX Lion and BD Remote

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Sigh

Well I am here again, still not happy with my remote solution using Remote Buddy in combination with OSX and BD Remote, and am ready to give up. I don't know where the fault lies, Apple Bluetooth, IOSPIRIT or the DB Remote.

Since OSX Lion, Bluetooth has been a NIGHTMARE. Even my BT Keyboard and BT Mouse Pad (both apple products) are having problems. The problem is that often (but not always) when the mac has been idle for some time, the bluetooth devices will no longer be recognised by the mac, even if I wake the mac with a wired (usb) keyboard and power cycle the bluetooth devices and even change batteries.

I have to use the usb keyboard to open bluetooth preferences, turn bluetooth OFF and then turn it back ON. A feat in itself without a mouse.

At that point, the BT keyboard and mouse will reconnect and I can use them. The BD Remote however WONT reconnect. OSX will prompt for a PIN for it (which never works).

To get the BD Remote working I have to shut down Remove Buddy, restart it, go to setup wizard and re-pair the BD remove with Remote Buddy.

Then and only then can I use the remote.

For a remote control solution, you can appreciate this is less than ideal (it takes 5 - 10 minutes to get remote working each time I come to use it).

I have wondered, do I need the Candelair driver installed? Will remote buddy work without it? Is it interfering with OSX's bluetooth stack and messing things up?

Is OSX bluetooth just rubbish? (it certainly doesn't just work like its supposed to).

Is there anything I can do to debug what is going on?

What is the best remote solution using Remote Buddy and OSX Lion that will provide the same level of control that BD remote does?

Thanks for listening and any advice given. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Driver
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
Thread-display::