Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

19.09.2011 22:46:02
Re: Lion, RemoteBuddy will not wake monitor

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

I bought/installed remote Buddy yesterday, so it should be the latest version with Candelair installed (recall it wanted to do that) and option checked. I recheck tonight when I get home…

Thanks. It don't want to point out the obvious, but for completeness have to say it: please also verify that Remote Buddy is actually running when you try to wake your Mac. Otherwise, wakeup behaviour will be Lion's default behaviour, which won't wake the display unless your system is fully asleep. Which, under Lion, often isn't the case even if you select "Sleep" and the display turned off in response.

I sometimes get it to un-sleep when I press a button on the remote multiple times... But not sure how to do this as part of a Harmony One activity switch…

Any Apple Remote button code should do, provided you haven't limited your Apple IR Receiver to a single Apple Remote via pairing. You can perform a fully automatic check for this and other error sources using Remote Control Diagnostics (free download from the Labs section of our website). If you run RCD, please copy and paste the results in the reply.

As with regards to your Harmony configuration question, please don't hesitate to contact Logitech's support if you need help with that. They offer excellent support.

Is there a basic installation guide somewhere for Lion?

Remote Buddy isn't installed any different than any other software on the Mac. It works out of the box when used with a supported device and default settings.

Is this functionality reserved for Apple remotes?

The Apple IR Receiver will only wake your system (and Remote Buddy then get a chance to complete the wake up of the display and by this fully wake the system) when all of these requirements are met:

a) it receives a correctly formed Apple Remote IR code (the Apple IR Receiver performs IR decoding directly in hardware and only supports Apple Remote IR codes)

b) the Apple Remote IR code it receives is sent by an Apple Remote that your system accepts input from (=> only a single Apple Remote if you paired one, and any Apple Remote if you didn't pair one. You can remove any pairing at System Preferences > Security).

c) your Apple IR Receiver isn't disabled (this option, too, can be found at System Preferences > Security). IIRC the Apple IR Receiver was disabled by default on all Macs I recently bought that shipped with Lion.

Sidenote: when you run RCD, it'll also check for b) and c).

Although the Harmony Remote often doesn't send the same IR code as a real Apple Remote (timing-wise), it's usually close enough as that the Apple IR Receiver still recognizes it as such and can decode it successfully.

I recommend using the "Apple Remote" device profile for testing before trying with other device profiles, which may not have codes for all buttons of your remote or contain other errors.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

Thread-display::