Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

17.10.2011 16:13:21
RemoteBuddy re-ordering Login Items causing Finder to steal focus from Plex on startup

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I start RemoteBuddy along with a number of other utils on my HTPC, with Plex being the last. In this release of RemoteBuddy I've found that the feature added to "fix" a hidden login item record is constantly re-ordering my login items list.

I've tried every combination of settings I could figure: disabling the "start on login" option in RB while adding it manually to the login items causes RB to remove the item, and if I enable it and order the apps as I want them RB will remove itself from the list and append itself to the end on startup.

My short term solution is to use the "Activate Behaviour on Startup" option which causes RB to activate Plex once it finishes starting. I don't like this approach as it ruins the nice clean startup I had going for some time. A better solution would be an option in RB to have it leave my login items alone, I really don't think the app has any business messing with my system preferences like this!

On a related note, I've noticed that RB is quite a bit slower in starting up. I'm now running an almost stock configuration on a 2010 mini w/ 8gb of mem and a decent HD, but RB still takes 10+ seconds to become active, which is exacerbating the above issue. I wouldn't even notice the slowdown if the app weren't taking focus from Plex (well really it's causing the Finder menu bar to appear over the Plex ui...)

Any tips or direction would be appreciated! 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
Thread-display::