Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

06.07.2012 09:43:18
Setting up Remote Buddy Express for perfect Plex - settings I missed

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi,

Short story: 
Setup the Remote Buddy trial, and it worked great with Apple's Alu Remote + Plex. So I bought Remote Buddy Express, mirrored the setup of the trial, and can't get 'menu' to launch Plex like I could with the trial. Workaround is mapping menu+long hold...

No problem, you say? Try telling that to my GF who has several years of 'muscle memory' attached to that remote.

And, you know - my nerd pride - it *should* work...why isn't it??!?!?

[UPDATE] - great answer from Felix below...I'll leave this original post, b/c it wasn't immediately clear to me how what I was doing wrong.

Long Story: 
I have a 2011 mac mini, Plex 9.5.3, and an Aluminium remote.

A few days ago, I ran the Remote Buddy trial and after investing an hour+ of time, followed the blog post that tells you to setup like so:

http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/

I had a perfect (for me) working environment:

In Finder: 
* Holding Play put mac to sleep, pressing menu on remote woke up the mac 
* Tapping menu opened Plex as normal.

In Plex: 
* Up/Down operated as normal navigation, and when watching media, up/down adjusted volume (normal Plex behaviour). 
* Holding up/down adjusted system volume (handy for iplayer plugin where the volume can't be controlled via Plex).

I achieved this by setting the mapping like so:

* Global Mapping: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/343477/ofy89QYYAxCidW/rb-plex/rb-global.png 
* Plex Mapping: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/343477/ofy89QYYAxCidW/rb-plex/rb-plex.png

As the trial 'proved' Remote Buddy could work for me, I purchased Remote Buddy Express on the App Store (I compared 'full' Remote Buddy, concluded it's the same app, less support for remotes I don't own, and I prefer App Store install/no serials).

I mirrored the setup of the Remote Buddy trial, but just can't get 'menu' to open Plex. Manually launching Plex, the 'virtual remote' mappings all worked perfectly. I tried switching off/on remote support in Plex, but didn't change behaviour.

[UPDATE] -As per Felix's answer - I must have enabled 'default behaviour' on the trial without realising it...having followed Felix's instructions, Remote Buddy Express is working perfectly for me re. Plex.

Last edited: 06.07.2012 09:47:34

Last edited: 06.07.2012 11:17:42

Last edited: 06.07.2012 13:38:03 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
Thread-display::