Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

12.11.2010 16:26:49
EyeTV remote not responding with 10.6.5
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I just installed 10.6.5 on my mac mini and now my EyeTV remote not longer works. I know that it is not the remote because it works fine if I quit Remote Buddy. Also it is interesting that if I hold the enter button down I can still bring up the RB menu so it looks like the EyeTV receiver still works within RB but just does not recognize any EyeTV commands.

Before I toil trying to troubleshoot for hours I just wanted to find out if this is a 10.6.5 bug that you will be working on.

Thank you in advance,

Mike 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

12.11.2010 16:45:23
Re: EyeTV remote not responding with 10.6.5
View

You're not alone, I'm having the same issue. 
User

12.11.2010 16:49:47
View

I guess that's good news/bad news... 
User

12.11.2010 23:02:13
View

I have a Mac Pro with a Manta TR1 IR receiver that's been working fine for the past few years. Immediately after the 10.6.5 update the remote is no longer working in Remote Buddy or Plex. The light on the TR1 lights up when I press buttons on any of the remotes I have, however nothing happens in any application I've tried.

I downloaded the Remote Control Diagnostics app and it says "No known Apple® IR Receiver found", however I don't really know if this app is supposed to see the Manta TR1 IR receiver so this may not tell us anything.

I installed 10.6.5 on my MacBook Pro and the built-in IR receiver still works fine so I know the remotes are good.

The Manta TR1 still shows up in the Apple System Profiler as follows:

eHome Infrared Transceiver:

Product ID: 0xe015 
Vendor ID: 0x147a (Formosa21 Inc.) 
Version: 0.00 
Serial Number: FM0000Uy 
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec 
Manufacturer: Formosa21 
Location ID: 0x3d100000 
Current Available (mA): 500 
Current Required (mA): 100

This seems normal to me but I'm not totally sure. 

User

13.11.2010 00:10:31
View

Thanks for the heads up, guys;-) I was going to install 10.6.5 today, but then I saw this thread. I guess I'll wait until the all clear signal sounds.

Glenn 

User

13.11.2010 00:22:50
View

Hi Laurance (and Felix too, cus you're a super attentive forum moderator -- I can vouch for this from experience -- and you always answer everyone's questions, so I just know you'll end up reading this *wink, wink*),

I'm guessing that I have pretty much the same setup as yourself. I run a 2006 Mac Pro w/ Remote Buddy, an Apple Remote, and a Manta TR1 transceiver (purchased from Twisted Melon when I bought Mira, but now of course I don't use Mira anymore, so it's long since uninstalled). When I auto-updated OS X Snow Leopard from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 yesterday, Remote Buddy stopped recognizing my Manta TR1 transceiver. Like you, I checked the System Profiler, and the "eHome Infrared Transceiver" DOES appear under USB, so it IS recognized by the OS, and is getting power. I tried re-installing Mira, too, just to see if that still worked. Mira DOES seem to recognize the Manta (I did some USB plugging and unplugging, and watched it appear and disappear from the menu), but my Apple Remote doesn't seem to work through IT, either. So maybe it's not just Remote Buddy that's been crippled by this update.

I'm totally hooked on Remote Buddy. I use it for EyeTV, Boxee, and various other apps on my HDTV. I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT!! :p That said, if anyone figures out a fix, please post it! Let me know if there are any other details I can provide about my version of the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely, 
Chapin Klein (loyal Remote Buddy user) 

User

13.11.2010 00:40:17
View

Yeah, I probably didn't make it clear enough in my original post. This stopped working in Plex as well, even with Remote Buddy disabled so it's definitely not an issue with Remote Buddy per se, but something deeper in the OS. I've reported it to Apple, but I don't know how likely it is for them to fix it as the built-in IR receivers seem to be unaffected. 
User

13.11.2010 01:02:31
Re: Re: EyeTV remote not responding with 10.6.5
View

Thanks everybody for your input!

Just a small heads up regarding the issue of eHome receivers with OS X 10.6.5: 
I can reproduce it, identified the issue and am already working on a fix/workaround.

I'll update this post as well as the @remotebuddy and @felix_schwarz Twitter accounts as soon as I have news.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

14.11.2010 20:29:18
View

As promised, here's an update:

What caused this issue:

The Mac OS X Update 10.6.5 contains changes in the USB area that renders the eHome/MCE driver's initialization routine defunct. In consequence, the receiver is not available to Remote Buddy.

Fix now available:

The new Remote Buddy version 1.16.6 ships with a new version of the driver that fixes this issue. You can either download and install the update from the Remote Buddy website or using Remote Buddy's built-in updater.

Please note that Remote Buddy will only be able to access your IR receiver after the new, bundled driver version has been installed and your system has subsequently been rebooted (this is needed for the updated driver to be used by OS X).

When you launch the new version, Remote Buddy will inform you about the new driver version and offer to install it.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

15.11.2010 01:52:01
View

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be addressed in this update, but my EyeTV remote is still not working after installling the software and driver update. 
User

15.11.2010 11:49:11
View

Thanks everybody for their feedback regarding EyeTV Remote / OS X 10.6.5.

I've tried to reproduce the problem using Remote Buddy 1.16.6 / EyeTV 3.4.3 / OS X 10.6.5, but couldn't. The remote worked fine.

Generally spoken, OS updates also shouldn't have any effect on this function, since support for EyeTV remotes works solely on the basis of direct communication between Remote Buddy and EyeTV - without involvement of any OS drivers.

Please check that 
1) that support for AdHoc receivers is turned on at "Prefs > General > Advanced.." and that you haven't turned it off (it's on by default)

2) EyeTV is running when you use the remote. Remote Buddy only receives EyeTV remote control commands when EyeTV is running.

3) the mapping settings at Prefs > Mapping > [Application] for the respective application/remote combination are intact and that the buttons that don't show any reaction actually have an action assigned to them. If no action is assigned to them there, no action will be executed upon a button press.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

15.11.2010 18:13:55
View

Same here, after installing the RemoteBuddy-Update and the build-in driver, EyeTV Remote still not works with Remote Buddy. I've checked the preferences as you wrote in your posting above, all settings look like that. In my mapping prefs of the EyeTV-Receiver all keys of the EyeTV-Remote are set to the value "Standardaktion für Receiver", just like pre 10.6.5. I changed no settings after (or before) the OSX Update to 10.6.5. What else could go wrong? 
User

15.11.2010 18:33:01
View

Felix,

I checked all of your recommendations and it still does not work. Like I mentioned before if I quit Remote Buddy then the remote works fine with EyeTV so I know the IR receiver and remote are working fine. Also when EyeTV is not the active behavior the non-global commands for other applications work fine so RB is recognizing the IR receiver.

Please try again and replicate because it is clear that I am not the only one having this same problem.

Thank you 

User

15.11.2010 19:51:49
View

Like the others, my settings are as per your instructions and unchanged from before the update. I guess I'll try installing RB on my wife's macbook this evening to see if I see the issue on that machine. 
User

15.11.2010 23:32:26
View

I have the same issue. The EyeTv Remote can bring up the Remote Buddy menu just fine, but events to EyeTv itself get inhibited. I am using an Apple Remote for Boxee etc. and found a partial workaround:

* Start EyeTv 
* Start Remote Buddy 
* Deactive EyeTv Remote in Remote Buddy pulldown menu

In this case everything works fine. EyeTv Remote for EyeTv and Apple Remote for everything else.

If, however, I press the Apple Remote after starting Remote Buddy, but before deactivating EyeTv Remote, problem is there. Strange bug...

Running EyeTv 3.4.3, Remote Buddy 1.16.6 and OSX 10.6.5 on an i3 iMac.

/jesper

Last edited: 16.11.2010 00:29:41 

User

16.11.2010 00:16:27
View

I can confirm the issue is there on my wife's computer as well. Fresh install of EyeTV and RB, using either a EyeTV Hybrid 2007 or a Hybrid 2009.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just deactivate the EyeTV remote from RB, but that should resolve the issue for me, I have a keyspan receiver for all my other remote needs. 

User

16.11.2010 01:46:52
View

That's not a bad idea as a workaround but unfortunately for some of use we use Universal remotes like the Logitech Harmony and in which case that will not provide the same functionality as prior to this bug. One of the main reason of purchasing Remote Buddy was to have the ability to use just one remote control.

User

16.11.2010 05:10:49
View

This is also happening with me, unfortunately. I've worked around it for now by not running Remote Buddy, since I typically just use EyeTV, though I'm missing the multiple-press dampening that Remote Buddy provides for EyeTV. When EyeTV handles the remote itself, pressing a button once can register as two or three button presses in EyeTV :-(, though Remote Buddy fortunately handles that nonsense properly :-). I eagerly await a fix that will make Remote Buddy work in OS X 10.6.5. Thanks, and keep up the great work! 
User

16.11.2010 08:32:01
View

You're the best, Felix. I wish you and your product many years of success!! Keep those updates coming, and don't forget to charge for them, now and then :p (Mac Pro 2006, Manta TR1/eHome receiver, Remote Buddy, Apple Remote, EyeTV Hybrid 2009, Boxee, etc.)

Last edited: 16.11.2010 08:33:08 

User

16.11.2010 10:08:31
View

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

I had previously only tested controlling applications other than EyeTV with the EyeTV remote control, which worked fine.

Thanks to your feedback, I could reproduce and eventually fix the issue. A new version of Remote Buddy is now online as a silent update. I've appended the release notes with this info:

-- cut -- 
Fix: Workaround for what looks like a bug introduced by Apple with OS X 10.6.5 (rdar://8672139) that breaks communication between EyeTV and Remote Buddy regarding EyeTV remotes. Note: This fix was not part of the original 1.16.6 release, but was released as a silent update (on 16th November 2010 at 10 am UTC+1). If you are affected by the problem, visit http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/download/ and follow the instructions to re-download Remote Buddy and replace your existing copy with the updated version. 
-- cut --

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

16.11.2010 16:25:46
View

Felix,

As the author of this post I just wanted to thank you for fixing this so quickly. I downloaded the silent version this morning and EveTV is back to normal.

Thanks again!

Mike 

User

16.11.2010 22:07:24
View

Thanks for the fix. Keep up the good work.

/jesper 

User

17.11.2010 23:04:37
View

Great job, thanks!