Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

20.12.2010 00:28:10
Applescript to change EyeTV audio options?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I don't know if this is a Plex issue or not but it didn't start happening until I upgraded to 9 and the first rule of thumb of troubleshooting is to determine what changed. My setup is and EyeTV Plex running on a Mini 2009 via HDMI and with digital audio out via optical to my receiver. I use a harmony remote and always leave EyeTV running, even when I switch to Plex. I send a command via applescript and RB to close all live tv windows to EyeTV and then switch to Plex. When I quit Plex I send a command to activate EyeTV and open a live TV window. Switching from EyeTV to Plex goes off without a hitch. However, now after upgrading to 9, when I switch back to EyeTV I get no sound. Upon inspecting the EyeTV audio options the audio out has been switched to "System Out" instead of "Digital Out". To fix the issue I simply have to switch it back to "Digital Out" and all is well.

I had been running this setup since May of last year without issue until I upgraded to 9. Any ideas why this is happening? Anyone know of an applescript command to tell EyeTV to automatically set audio to "Digital Out"?

Thanks in advance. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

General
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

22.12.2010 22:57:47
Re: Applescript to change EyeTV audio options?
View

Thoughts on this? For the record, I did look through the Elgato manual for EyeTV 3 applescript commands and there isn't one. My guess is this would need to be done through the command line and would be flipping a variable somewhere... 
User

25.12.2010 20:08:46
View

I dowloaded and installed the latest version of EyeTV (3.5) and the latest version of Plex (.9.1.9.1 I think) and now this issue is resolved. Not sure if it was Plex or EyeTV but it's working now. 
User

15.02.2011 09:46:38
View

Hi Andrew,

I thought I'd weigh in on this for the benefit of anyone who searches for a solution to a similar issue but for whom a simple upgrade doesn't work.

I had a similar problem with EyeTV where it wouldn't grab the HDMI port of my 2010 Mac Mini, instead defaulting to the built-in speaker. My solution was thus: open Keyboard in System Preferences and click on Application Shortcuts. Click on the "plus" icon and select EyeTV from the Application drop-down menu, enter the name of the menu item for Menu Title—in your case it should be "Digital Out"—and finally enter a key combination (but be sure to pick something that EyeTV isn't already using!). Now, when your Harmony remote sends its signal, have Remote Buddy send a keystroke for the shortcut you assigned in EyeTV and the audio output will switch.

Naturally this also works for any other menus (in any app) that you want to control with Remote Buddy.

Last edited: 15.02.2011 09:47:53 

User

16.02.2011 04:16:54
View

I send a command via applescript and RB to close all live tv windows to EyeTV and then switch to Plex. When I quit Plex I send a command to activate EyeTV and open a live TV window. Switching from EyeTV to Plex goes off without a hitch.

If you don't mind, can I get a copy of that Applescript that closes and opens the live EyeTV window?

That is awesome!!

Thanks, 
Steve 

User

16.02.2011 05:26:44
View

I actually updated to the latest version of Plex and EyeTV and this issue was resolved. Not sure which application resolved it but no longer an issue. I'll try out your suggestions if it crops up again.

As for the AppleScripts, check out my post below for all the information you need! :)

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/13392-an-easy-way-to-switch-between-plex-and-eyetv/page__view__findpost__p__84706