Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

13.02.2011 16:36:37
Remote Buddy with EyeTV is not working as expected
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi,

I want to use Remote Buddy for changing the default behaviour of any clicks from my Apple remote in EyeTV, but it doesn't matter which action is configured in EyeTV it always the defaault action.

Even if I delete all actions in Remote Buddy the default clicks are still working in EyeTV, in this case I would expect that if I click on my remote nothing should happen.

An Example: 
Remote Buddy off: Press "Up" on Remote -> Curser up in EyeTV menu 
Remote Buddy on: Standard config -> Press "Up" on Remote -> Curser up in EyeTV menu 
Remote Buddy on: Deleted Action for Button up -> Press "Up" on Remote -> Still curser up in EyeTV menu

It seems that EyeTV dont get commands from Remote Buddy but directly form the remote. All other applications (XBMC for example) are working as configured. Any hints?

nicx... 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
User

14.02.2011 12:32:01
Re: Remote Buddy with EyeTV is not working as expected
View

Thanks for asking.

When you enter EyeTV's own onscreen menu, Remote Buddy switches to a special mode to allow navigation of the menu.

If it wasn't, you couldn't use up/down/left/right to vol+/vol-/ch+/ch-/rew/ff outside the menu and use the menu when it's on screen. In fact, if it wasn't, you could open and close the EyeTV's own menu, but you couldn't navigate it at all - you'd still only perform vol+/vol-/ch+/ch-/rew/ff.

=> Your mapping is only fully used when you're outside of EyeTV's own menu.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

14.02.2011 13:33:50
View

OK, so as far as I understand it's never possible to use multiple virtual apple remotes to get more buttons working in EyeTV, every virtual remote will only use the standard button function. Am I right?

That is really a big petty... is this because of EyeTV reglementations? Or ist there any hope that this will work in a future Remote Buddy version?

nicx... 

User

14.02.2011 16:17:01
Re: Re: Remote Buddy with EyeTV is not working as expected
View

OK, so as far as I understand it's never possible to use multiple virtual apple remotes to get more buttons working in EyeTV,

1) Multiple remote support is designed and optimized for real Apple Remotes - not for use with Universal Remotes. The case where, on a six/seven button remote, you open a menu in order not to navigate that menu doesn't really occur for real Apple Remotes. At least I can't see that. If that'd be what you wanted with a real Apple Remote, you'd simply not open the EyeTV menu in the first place.

2) When you're outside of EyeTV's menu, you can customize the mapping of any and all multiple Apple Remotes and the actions will be performed accordingly.

every virtual remote will only use the standard button function. Am I right?

The up/down/left/right/menu/select buttons will navigate the EyeTV menu when its open - and execute whatever action you've assigned to them when it's not open.

Out of curiosity, because I really try to understand: what would you want to do other than navigate and use the EyeTV menu when you open the EyeTV menu?

That is really a big petty... is this because of EyeTV reglementations?

It's the side effect of using a feature for what it hasn't been designed for. That said, I'm well aware of the popularity of "abusing" this feature for Harmony Remote support - and am in contact with Logitech on this subject. And that's all I can say about this atm.

Or ist there any hope that this will work in a future Remote Buddy version?

I generally don't comment on future versions. Sorry.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

17.02.2011 18:46:26
View

hi,

Out of curiosity, because I really try to understand: what would you want to do other than navigate and use the EyeTV menu when you open the EyeTV menu?

I just wanted to get to some menu item directly and not by clicking several times... for example one button for multifeed options.

Thanks for all your explanations anyway ;)

nicx... 

User

18.02.2011 11:25:55
View

Sorry to budge in this discussion, but perhaps this may be helpful somehow.

As Felix indicates the use of multiple virtual apple remotes steered with a Harmony remote is not supported but it nevertheless works like a charm for me. I can toggle fullscreen, record/play etc on any button of my Harmony remote and thus address all functions the regular EyeTV remote allows (and more). 
If you are interested in this, please look at the thread "Harmony 555, IR receiver and RB/Plex/EyeTV" in this forum.

However, it does not solve your question to alter the buttons when inside the EyeTV menu, as Felix indicates. I also have not found a way to open specific EyeTV menu items (calling the EPG for instance while inside the live window) with a single buttonpush if they are not available in the normal EyeTV buttonbar at the top of my desktop or as an action in Remote Buddy. 
Actions you can call with a keystroke however are easily programmed in Remote Buddy (e.g. close/open live window etc)

User

23.02.2011 08:33:19
View

However, it does not solve your question to alter the buttons when inside the EyeTV menu, as Felix indicates. I also have not found a way to open specific EyeTV menu items (calling the EPG for instance while inside the live window) with a single buttonpush if they are not available in the normal EyeTV buttonbar at the top of my desktop or as an action in Remote Buddy. 
Actions you can call with a keystroke however are easily programmed in Remote Buddy (e.g. close/open live window etc)

Hi Jurgen & Nicx,

This is quite simple—everything you need is in EyeTV's AppleScript dictionary. To use your example of opening the Guide you'd just have to set Remote Buddy to perform this:

tell application "EyeTV" to set full screen guide to true

That's it!

To see what other commands can be sent through AppleScript just drag the EyeTV icon onto the AppleScript Editor icon or choose File: Open Dictionary... from within AppleScript Editor.

Also, if I understand the original question, the default behaviour of Remote Buddy in EyeTV (or any other app) *can* be overridden if you change Remote Buddy to an AppleScript-based setup. I have many, many instances where a single button will perform any number of functions based on the changing context of the application that I'm using, or by using Remote Buddy's built-in support for storing data in a temporary/permanent file. Here's one of my simpler scripts as an example:

----Begin Code----

-- Modified: February 12, 2011

-- In its default condition (probably on RB's side) EyeTV will scan forward/back 
-- only if the button is held. This script fixes that behaviour, allowing the scan to 
-- continue until the PLAY button is pressed. By default, that press will trigger a 
-- pause, whereas I want it to trigger a return to play

-- EyeTV can't poll for player state so read it from a dynamic file 
tell application "Remote Buddy" 
set player_state to read value for key "com.htpc.eyetv.playerstate" in domain "temporary" with default value "play" 
end tell

-- If player state is anything but play/pause make it play, else toggle play/pause 
tell application "EyeTV" 
if player_state is "scan" then 
play 
else if full screen menu is true or alert menu open is true then 
tell application "System Events" 
keystroke return 
end tell 
else 
playpause 
end if 
end tell

-- Reset the value since scanning is now done 
tell application "Remote Buddy" 
store value "play" for key "com.htpc.eyetv.playerstate" in domain "temporary" 
end tell

----End Code---- 

User

23.02.2011 13:42:52
View

Aha!

Learning something new and useful every day! I have to say I will try to avoid your Applescript based overrides, but at least the flexibility is there. Nice!

Kind regards, 
Jurgen 

User

23.02.2011 18:30:54
View

EyeTV has quite extensive AppleScript support; I don't think my EyeTV commands on my Harmony needed anything more than keyboard shortcuts or basic scripts, mainly using EyeTV's own dictionary.

AppleScript also gives the option of performing many related tasks on the Mac with a single push of a button; for example instead of sending extra commands from your Harmony after you've started, say, your "EyeTV" activity, you could just use an AppleScript to start EyeTV, open a new window, make it fullscreen, change to channel X, and quit any other application that interferes with EyeTV.

Remote Buddy is a very powerful application in its own right, but when combined with AppleScript the control you have is almost endless. (And check out RB's own AppleScript dictionary—Felix has given us some pretty useful stuff there too!) 

User

27.04.2011 17:40:28
View

Hi - I have spent over two hours trying to get one of my Harmony One remote buttons to work within EyeTV and I thnk it is related to this same scenario.

The Harmony maps as 10 logical Apple remotes within RB. I want to use the 'Exit' key within EyeTV menus to go backwards, ie. I set a keystroke on this button -ESC. Instead I get an 'up' command whenever I press Exit on the Harmony.

Is there any way around this ? 

User

08.08.2011 13:21:58
View

After all this time - still no answers !! Funny that I search the same issue and find my unanswered post !!

I really want RB to work for me but the EyeTV limitations are a killer. 

User

08.08.2011 13:57:02
View

After all this time - still no answers !! Funny that I search the same issue and find my unanswered post !!

Please see the previous responses in the thread. Your question has already been answered fully in http://www.iospirit.com/support/forums/remotebuddy/singlethread/15363/ - before you even posted your question. Please read it.

The Harmony maps as 10 logical Apple remotes within RB.

1) Multiple remote support is designed and optimized for real Apple Remotes - not for use with Universal Remotes. The case where, on a six/seven button remote, you open a menu in order not to navigate that menu doesn't really occur for real Apple Remotes. At least I can't see that. If that'd be what you wanted with a real Apple Remote, you'd simply not open the EyeTV menu in the first place.

2) When you're outside of EyeTV's menu, you can customize the mapping of any and all multiple Apple Remotes and the actions will be performed accordingly.

I want to use the 'Exit' key within EyeTV menus to go backwards, ie. I set a keystroke on this button -ESC. Instead I get an 'up' command whenever I press Exit on the Harmony.

The up/down/left/right/menu/select buttons will navigate the EyeTV menu when its open ..

Chances are your Exit button on the Harmony Remote really sends an "Up" Apple Remote button code. And, as explained in the quoted text, when the EyeTV menu is OPEN, an "Up" button code will trigger what's logical for an Apple Remote: move up in the menu.

.. - and execute whatever action you've assigned to them when it's not open.

Applied to your scenario: your "ESC" key press is only issued when the EyeTV menu is CLOSED.

It's the side effect of using a feature for what it hasn't been designed for. That said, I'm well aware of the popularity of "abusing" this feature for Harmony Remote support - and am in contact with Logitech on this subject. And that's all I can say about this atm. 
User

08.08.2011 13:59:01
Re: Re: Remote Buddy with EyeTV is not working as expected
View

For additional information on why things are implemented the way they are implemented, also see my other, even older reply in the same thread:

http://www.iospirit.com/support/forums/remotebuddy/singlethread/15360/ 

User

08.08.2011 14:01:11
View

I have read it - along with every RB / Harmony guide on the internet and it still does not work seamlessly. People have been asking for years for Harmony integration - I understand it is obviously not simple but people have been asking you for years for this. If it is not going to happen can you at least come out and say NO so that we can move on and find other ways to achieve the OSX / Media Centre / remote control nirvana ? 
User

21.12.2011 23:11:48
View

The up/down/left/right/menu/select buttons will navigate the EyeTV menu when its open - and execute whatever action you've assigned to them when it's not open.

I hate to rehash this old nugget, but I was wondering if the Play/Pause or Select button (whichever is newer) on Apple's silver "7" button remote is accessible by Remote Buddy while in an EyeTV menu. 
User

05.01.2012 14:17:01
View

Thanks for asking.

I just tried - and the answer to your question is no.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

05.01.2012 15:35:45
View

Thanks for asking.

I just tried - and the answer to your question is no.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

Felix!

Thanks for looking into it … you're the best!!!

I've been a happy customer since 2009 and I find that I'm often AMAZED at what Remote Buddy can accomplish. With the Applescript support you've built-in to the app along with the custom actions, I've been able to do some really cool stuff. I've even set it up to run some maintenance tasks in the background when I decide to watch tv :)

In particular, I've recently implemented the Visualize commands into all my behaviors to fade-out the current app, then fade-in to the next app. I use a Harmony 900 with activities assigned to each app and we no longer even see the "computer" anymore … it's like MAGIC!

Thanks for creating such a great application!! WELL DONE!!!!