Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

20.05.2011 01:51:03
Movie Library very slow
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I am running Remote Buddy 1.16.6 on a mac mini with Snow Leopard. Recently accessing the Movie Library has become very slow and cumbersome.

I have a large library that I store on a network drive. When RB starts up it takes about 10 minutes before I can access the movie library. Once the library is loaded when I select the Movie Library it takes another minute or two before it actually gets to the menu to chose either all or a letter. As I scroll through it hangs often.

I thought the original delay might be from reading the network drive, so I watched my disk activity on that drive with RB being the only network resource connecting. I saw a little activity right away and then there was nothing on the drive or the network after that for the remainder of the time. This led me to look at the activity on the mac mini. CPU usage was less than 1% and there was very little disk usage there. It seems like RB is just hanging for a while when it is trying to load the library. The only thing I can see is that memory usage ticks up as I access the library and scroll through.

Is there anything that can be done to speed this up a bit? Is there anything further that can be looked at to possibly see where the bottleneck is?

AK

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

24.05.2011 18:06:01
Re: Movie Library very slow
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Thanks for asking.

What Remote Buddy does is to perform a complete standard scan of the locations you provide it with and - as you scroll down - load the respective artwork. It'll do this as fast as the respective drive and CPU allows.

Since you don't observe a high CPU usage, the bottleneck here probably is your connection to the network drive - or the overall performance of network drive itself.

If you connect to the drive via Wi-Fi, I recommend trying to connect via Ethernet. You can also check the pure times of just scanning your network drive's directory structure by performing a full scan in Terminal.app using

ls -alR "FullPathOfDirectoryOnNetworkDrive"

To measure the time needed, you'd use: 
date;ls -alR "FullPathOfDirectoryOnNetworkDrive" >/dev/null;date

To get a realistic picture of how fast this is performed, you should do such a scan only after you just turned on your drive and you just opened a connection to it. Otherwise, results from the cache could lead to results that don't represent the actual times.

Alternatively, there are also chances that some of the paths you added to Movie Library are no longer valid. Since Remote Buddy saves these paths as OS X aliases (to allow for automatic connection to network drives, among other things) and these can only be resolved safely on the main execution thread of the application, resolving these will block the flow of the entire application until the aliases are either resolved to actual paths - or resolving times out. For aliases, the system timeouts can be pretty long. So, naturally, I'd also recommend to go through the list of paths you added to the Movie Library and see if any of them are outdated and point to unreachable/non-existant (network) drives and remove these.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz