Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

23.05.2011 22:23:14
Feature request - Remote Buddy main menu - visual appearance
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Dear Remote Buddy team

Thank you for making awesome software. I especially like the RB iTunes behaviour and ability to use AppleScript. Please accept this feature request as a user contribution to improve your great software and not as criticism.

One of the few things I think could be improved is the visual appearance of the Remote Buddy menu. It would contribute to an even more consistent and pleasurable user experience if the visual appearance was more similar to other Apple GUI’s like Front Row and Apple TV (http://www.iclarified.com/images/tutorials/12649/43324/43324.jpg)

If the Apple GUI design ideas were used more in Remote Buddys menu design it could result in the following visual delights:

1) The focus frame around the highlighted menu item would start at the top of the list, and the list would start right under the icon. This way you could avoid having two empty spaces between the icon and the top menu item.

2) The Focus frame would have sharp edges rather than rounded. - this may sound like a minor thing but with design it’s always the little things that makes all the difference.

3) When pressing down, the focus frame would move down until it highlights the menu item in the middle of the visible menu items. When the list ends, the focus frame would move all the way to the bottom highlighting the last menu item on the list. This is the way Front Row and Apple TV menu item selection is performed.

Alternatively you could let the focus frame stay in the middle, but show the last menu items right above it, thereby making both ends of the list meet. This way you wouldn’t have to change the behavior of the focus frame but still avoid having two empty spaces between the highlighted item and the corresponding icon. With the current layout pressing up also takes you to the end of the list, but this way users would be able to see what menu items will be selected when pressing up.

4) Like on AppleTV, the text would be center aligned in the main menu, but still left aligned in the context menus. Center alignment could be optional and changeable in settings.

Hope you like my ideas

Thanks

Last edited: 24.05.2011 09:29:36 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

24.05.2011 18:07:01
Re: Feature request - Remote Buddy main menu - visual appearance
View

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Feedback like this is always a great motivator.

As always, though, I generally can't comment on future versions. I can just say thanks!

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

25.05.2011 14:07:37
View

Cool. Thanks. Another good idea could be allow developers to create custom skins for the menu. I might upload one or two mockups in this thread to contribute with some design inspiration for future realeases of Remote Buddy! Have a nice day. I'm happy to know that user contributions/feedback are so greatly appreciated :)

edit: 
Finally had the time to make a quick mockup just to give you an idea. Notice the hard edges on the focus frame, the lack of gradient in the menu, center alignment of text, and iceblueish glow instead of grey. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/388338/myrbmockup.png

Last edited: 14.08.2011 11:38:16 

User

27.07.2011 17:27:50
View

I would be grateful if someone would take a look at my suggestion and tell me what they think. Especially you Felix of course.

Last edited: 14.08.2011 11:40:05