Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

28.05.2011 12:46:17
Remote Applescript error with newest version (1.17)
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi! I've been using Applescript to forward remote control events from one machine to another on my network. Basically I've defined Actors for each button press/release event that does something like this:

tell application "Remote Buddy" of machine "eppc://me@mymachine" 
scriptremote button "menu" event "press" 
end tell

This was all working perfectly until yesterday when I updated both machines to Remote Buddy 1.17 -- now it gives me an error "Application isn’t running." Of course the Application is running on both machines. I can remotely script other applications, so it's not a connectivity problem, and I have the password saved in my keychain. It also fails when I input the password in the eppc:// url as well.

Is there a solution to this problem? If not, is it possible to downgrade to the previous version?

Thank you, 
Yusef Napora

EDIT -- I found an older version on a shareware site (1.16.4) and installed it on the machine that's receiving the remote apple events. Now it works again. I'll just stick with this and turn off the automatic updates for now, but maybe you should look into this. It's kind of an edge case, but other people might find remote apple scripting useful.

Last edited: 28.05.2011 13:04:11 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Built-in Online Updater
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

28.05.2011 13:49:01
Re: Remote Applescript error with newest version (1.17)
View

Thanks for asking.

Can you address Remote Buddy with

tell application "Remote Buddy"

on the computers themselves?

Does removing the space in the name and using

tell application "RemoteBuddy" of machine "eppc://me@mymachine"

work?

You can get the previous release at: 
http://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/6/General/entry/245/a/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

30.05.2011 19:41:46
Re: Remote Applescript error with newest version (1.17)
View

Removing the space did the trick! Thanks for the speedy reply! BTW, local applescripts work only with the space. So "Remote Buddy" works locally, but "RemoteBuddy" works remotely. Anyway, it's good enough for me! much obliged.