Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

11.06.2011 10:32:09
Controlling Behaviour Priorities
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

In a nutshell, this is what Remote Buddy does to determine which application to control / which Behaviour to pick:

1) Check the currently active (in terms of "input focus") application: if there's a behavior for it, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 2).

2) Check which applications are running in the background: if there's a behavior that supports background control of a running application, it gets picked. If not, it proceeds with 3)

3) Switch to the Default Behaviour.

The Spotify Behaviour supports background control. It will therefore be picked automatically when:

1) there's no behavior for the currently active application 
2) Spotify is running

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

11.06.2011 10:59:27
Re: Controlling Behaviour Priorities
View

My situation:

I have written a new Behaviour in the Behaviour Construction Kit (B.C.K.). I would really prefer it to also "support background control". But be chosen by Remote Buddt in a preference that is higher than Spotify.

"Behaviour Factory" in B.C.K has checkboxes / settings to individually configure each new custom behaviour. Its the "Specification and metadata" tab. There is no setting that says exactly: "background control". However there is this 1 checkbox:

[X] Handle application in background with priority [ 1024 ] (1024 min, -1024 max)

Question 1:

Does this option allow me to make my own custom behaviour take a higher background priority than Spotify? I mean - is this the correct setting to affect these background Behaviour Priorities within Remote Buddy?

Question 2:

If Q1=yes, then what number should be entered into the box to ensure the priority is greater than (eg Spotify)?

If Q1=no, then how else can we move Spotify to a lower priority, given that its pre-built as an official behaviour? If necessary, would it help to duplicate / replace the Spotify Behaviour with 2nd custom behaviour?

Question 3:

Do all behaviours with background background (for example iTunes, FrontRow and so on) have the same background priority? Or are they each set to some default, but unique priority arrangement? For example, will iTunes always override FrontRow, or visa-versa?

Many thanks. 

User

14.06.2011 15:16:01
Re: Controlling Behaviour Priorities
View

Thanks for asking.

[X] Handle application in background with priority [ 1024 ] (1024 min, -1024 max)

Question 1:

Does this option allow me to make my own custom behaviour take a higher background priority than Spotify? I mean - is this the correct setting to affect these background Behaviour Priorities within Remote Buddy?

Yes. The Spotify Behaviour that ships with Remote Buddy has a priority of 1024 (the minimum).

Question 2:

If Q1=yes, then what number should be entered into the box to ensure the priority is greater than (eg Spotify)?

If you want your Behaviour to be preferred, you should use a value of 1023 or less here.

Sidenote: if you're implementing your own Behaviour for Spotify, be sure to turn off the one that ships with Remote Buddy (by unchecking the checkbox in front of it at Prefs > Behaviours). Otherwise, which Behaviour is chosen for controlling the application is undefined and may vary on a case by case basis.

Question 3:

Do all behaviours with background background (for example iTunes, FrontRow and so on) have the same background priority?

Most use the lowest priority of 1024.

Or are they each set to some default, but unique priority arrangement? For example, will iTunes always override FrontRow, or visa-versa?

iTunes, DVD Player & Co. use different priorities based on the state of the system and the applications. For example, if you have DVD Player and iTunes running in the background, Remote Buddy will pick DVD Player if a DVD is inserted - and iTunes otherwise.

IIRC none uses a -1024 priority, so if you want to make sure your Behavior always "wins", that's probably the value you'll want to use.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz