Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

18.11.2011 00:29:38
Plex 0.9.5 - remote is not the same anymore
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all

After upgrading to plex 0.9.5, remote is strange. Common controls are working, but some are not, specially MENU HOLD. I cannot bring the context menu anywhere and cannot exit movie play by holding menu (I have to press menu once, and select on the STOP icon).

I thought it could be some configuration leftover, or that plex could have changed the controls itself, or the upgrade of the last remotebuddy with new support for plex could have changed something, but it seems now that it's really a bug.

I erased plex completely, upgraded remote buddy to the latest version (1.19.2), updated all behaviours (plex 0.9.5 support is installed), cleaned all the plex config files on my home dir (lib/app support/plex*) to make sure I had a really clean environment.

I started ONLY PLEX, NO REMOTEBUDDY. I can start plex pressing MENU, and all keys work as expected, INCLUDING the HOLD MENU, which works as always before.

I start Remote Buddy, select plex behaviour, the problems come back, with menu-hold not working (I think there is another combination not working, cannot remember now).

In the RB mappings menu, the menu-hold is set to NAVIGATION: MENU HOLD. If I set menu-hold to CONTEXT MENU, it works, and brings the context menu where it makes sense, but it kills the key anywhere else. I like having it set to Navigation/menuhold because it changes it's behaviour dinamicaly (like with no RB running).

Anyone else having the same problem?

The workaround for now is disable RB (I'm using it almost only for remapping plex keys nowadays).

Thanks, 
Andre

Edit: eeeewww, the remote works for some time dedicated to plex, then for some reason (i.e. you swtich to another application) it starts controlling volume and starting frontrow and itunes. after a reboot it comes back to plex only. It's not a problem as I start plex on login and it's dedicated to my TV, but on the notebook it's bad. Anyone knows how to control this behaviour without RB?

Last edited: 18.11.2011 00:44:01 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Behaviours - Support for iTunes® & AirPlay®
General
Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

18.11.2011 10:23:02
Re: Plex 0.9.5 - remote is not the same anymore
View

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it and see whether I can reproduce this.

Regarding a workaround: 
if you have Remote Buddy's driver (Candelair) installed, you can select the action "Virtual Remote > Menu Hold" to emulate an Apple Remote Menu Hold event, which should lead to the same response from Plex as if you pressed Menu Hold without Remote Buddy running.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.11.2011 10:54:02
View

I've now looked into it and could reproduce the issue. Fixing it is a bit more complex and may take some time to implement and test thoroughly, though. When I'm done, an updated Plex Behaviour will be available via the Remote Buddy Online Updater.

Until then, you can use the workaround I previously suggested to work around the issue.

Thanks again for reporting it.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.11.2011 12:48:23
View

Felix,

Thank you very much for looking at this problem. One of the things I like most on RB is the very responsive customer support.

I will use the sugested temporary fix, while you work on it.

Thanks!! 
Andre 

User

18.11.2011 15:20:02
Re: Re: Plex 0.9.5 - remote is not the same anymore
View

The fix took less time to implement than I initially thought. An update to the Plex Behaviour is now available. It also adds "Navigation: Play" (for the Play/Pause button added with the Aluminum Apple Remote) and fixes a bug in a workaround for a Plex timing bug (!), essentially addressing a long standing issue where assigning actions to "Up (held)" and "Down (held)" in Prefs > Mapping > Plex would result in the "Navigation: Up" and "Navigation: Down" not working reliably in all circumstances.

Enjoy!

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

18.11.2011 19:27:48
View

Hi Felix,

can Remote Buddy Express download the updated behavior somewhere?

Best regards, 
Edward 

User

18.11.2011 21:40:02
Re: Re: Plex 0.9.5 - remote is not the same anymore
View

Hi Edward,

thanks for asking.

Users of Remote Buddy Express - which, like any Mac App Store apps, may not contain an online updater - can manually download the updated version.

Installation is as easy as downloading the file, unzipping it (if Safari didn't already do it for you) and then double-clicking Plex.rbbehaviour in the Finder. 
http://static.iospirit.com/static/objectfiles/file/135/Plex.rbbehaviour.zip

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

19.11.2011 01:13:27
View

Felix,

I can confirm that the fix works as expected, and the menu hold behavior is restored to the usual one.

Thank you for the quick response.

Andre

User

21.11.2011 08:12:39
View

Felix,

I can confirm that the fix works as expected, and the menu hold behavior is restored to the usual one.

Thank you for the quick response.

Andre

I am seeing this fixed as well, thanks Felix!

Additionally, I think we may be having the same issue with Hulu desktop too.

Thanks again for such a wonderful product. Remote Buddy really makes my Mac Mini Media Center useable running multiple applications. 

User

25.11.2011 13:25:01
View

Additionally, I think we may be having the same issue with Hulu desktop too.

Hulu Desktop is not based on XBMC and controlled by Remote Buddy with plain keystrokes. I've gotten reports that Hulu Desktop doesn't react to keystrokes until you move the mouse in the past - but back then this issue of Hulu Desktop itself could be fixed by installing the latest version of Flash Player (which Hulu Desktop appears to base/depend on for its UI).

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz