Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

11.01.2012 18:16:04
BUG: Can't hide the initial button mapping chart
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.

My ideal user experience for Remote Buddy is to eliminate the screens with the default button maps. When I hit the Menu button, I want to see the main menu (unless an app is running). When I choose an app, I want it to just run the app. And so on.

If I disable both the "Descend into the respective context menu when choosing a Behaviour in the menu" and the "Display a button mapping chart for each Behaviour", I *almost* get the behavior I'm looking for. The problem is that when I first hit the Menu button, it still takes me to the Default Behaviour button mapping menu, but because the button map is disabled, the resulting empty menu is amazingly unhelpful. :-)

The only way I've found to get rid of the empty Default Behavior button mapping menu is to disable the Default Behavior behavior entirely. Unfortunately, this means I can't put the machine to sleep except when running a known app. That's also not a good experience.

Am I missing something? This seems like this should not only be easy to achieve, but is probably the typical experience that most users would prefer. Either way, displaying a menu that contains nothing but a "Hide Menu" button is clearly a bug. I would normally expect that when the "Display a button mapping chart for each Behaviour" checkbox is unchecked, the Default Behavior would not show that menu at all, since there is never going to be anything in it.

Thoughts?

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Behaviours
Behaviours - Support for iTunes® & AirPlay®
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

11.01.2012 18:20:31
Re: BUG: Can't hide the initial button mapping chart
View

BTW, yes, I know I could change the setting at the global level to always open at the main menu level, but if I do that, as far as I can tell, there is no longer any way to control apps that actually provide a menu system, e.g. iTunes.

User

11.01.2012 18:29:32
View

I just found a workaround. If I change the button mapping for "Default Behaviour" to "Open at main menu level", this seems to achieve the expected results. It's still really unintuitive to have to change what in my mind is a single preference (don't show button maps) in three different places (default behavior button map, the "Display a button mapping chart" checkbox, and the "Descend" checkbox). The "Descend" button makes no sense if the button mapping chart is disabled, so its behavior should only be settable if the other checkbox is checked. Otherwise, it should behave as though it is unchecked. Similarly, the menu button shouldn't take you to an empty menu, regardless of what the "Default Behaviour" button mapping says.

User

12.01.2012 10:41:01
View

Thanks for asking.

The Default Behaviour is not different from any other Behaviour. The only thing that differentiates it from the rest is that its activated by Remote Buddy when no other Behaviour seems to match the currently running applications. Like all other Behaviours, the Default Behaviour:

1) has a mapping table (Prefs > Mapping > Default Behaviour) - and its current mapping is displayed when you press the menu button as part of its menu. 
2) has a customizable menu (Prefs > Menu > Default Behaviour) and you can add any items to it, filling the - by default - empty menu. 
3) only has one menu item - "Hide menu" - when the behaviour is active and its menu has no entries 
4) has its menu shown when you press the "Menu" buttonŽand you're using default settings.

I can't see how any of this qualifies as a bug. If anything, this is fully consistent with how all other Behaviours are handled, too.

As to how you can enter at the top level menu instead of the Default Behaviour's menu when pressing the menu button, you've already found out how to achieve this - by assigning an alternative menu action to the Menu button in the mapping table of the Default Behaviour.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz