Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

23.01.2012 17:40:57
Logitech Harmony does not sleep Mac Mini once Remote Buddy is running
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi there!

I'v just acquired a Logitech Ahrmony 525 in order to manage all my devices with just one remote. Despite the messy configuration software of the remote, I've managed to create some actions that work, and once I press the "power" button, all my devices turns off: TV, AVR and Mac Mini.

However, since I installed Remote Buddy, it doesn't work any more: with my action "TV" the 3 devices turn on.. but when I press "power", the Mac Mini stays awake, and I have to put it to sleep manually.

I've tried to quit remote buddy BEFORE pressing the power button, and then it works flawlessly.

What's the point?

I'm still running Snow Leopard, so it has nothing to do with Lion...

Thanks in advance and kind regards!

Last edited: 23.01.2012 17:41:52 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
User

23.01.2012 21:50:02
Re: Logitech Harmony does not sleep Mac Mini once Remote Buddy is running
View

Thanks for asking.

Unlike TVs, AVRs, etc. there is no discrete IR code that puts an IR Receiver equipped Mac to sleep.

Instead, if you only use OS X' built-in Apple Remote support, a long press of the Play/Pause (or "Select", respectively - depending on model) button will put your Mac to sleep.

That's fine if you're fine with the very limited functionality that OS X built-in Apple Remote support offers. But it's a waste of one of only 12/14 button codes if you want to do more with your remote. That's why, in Remote Buddy, a long press of f.ex. the Play/Pause or Select button is often used to offer additional functionality (most frequently fullscreen mode on/off action are assigned to it by default).

If you're ready to sacrifice a button code for the sole purpose of putting your Mac to sleep - and you want your Mac to go to sleep for a long press of the Play/Pause or Select button, go to Prefs > Mapping > Global mapping and assign the action "Put computer to sleep" to the "Select (held)" or "Play/Pause (held)" entry respectively. Please note that - since you essentially hardwire a button to a particular action - this makes this button code unavailable for configuration and use on a per-application basis.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

24.01.2012 01:12:40
View

Thanks for your quick answer. I know what you mean, but I'm afraid I haven't explained myself clearly enough.

The problem I have is that Remote Buddy keeps the Logitech Harmony remote from putting the Mac Mini to sleep. Without Remote Buddy running, Logitech Harmony puts the Mac Mini sleeping perfectly, as well as the rest of my hardware (AVR and TV).

BUT, once Remote Buddy is runnning, Logitech Harmony CANNOT put the Mac Mini to sleep. It wakes the Mac Mini flawlessly, but it can't put it to sleep.

Any solution?

Regards! 

User

24.01.2012 22:54:01
View

Sorry, but I have already answered your question in my previous post. In all shortness:

1) the Logitech Harmony sends a long button press to the Mac Mini to put it to sleep. There is no other way to do this over IR.

2) Remote Buddy allows its users to map short and long button presses individually - including the button whose long button press the Harmony uses.

3) By default, said long button press is not *globally* mapped to the sleep action, because most people prefer to use it to access additional functionality.

4) If you want to put your Mac Mini to sleep in reaction to said long button press (which is the only mechanism available to the Harmony Remote), follow the instructions I posted as part of my previous answer to hardwire said long button press to the sleep action.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

20.02.2012 19:31:58
View

I've having the same issue. Mac Mini with Lion, I use the Logitech 900 with remote buddy.

The issue is not having a button on the logitech remote put the mini to sleep, its the fact that the remote buddy application seems to prevent the mini from going into sleep mode when specified in the mini settings.

Last edited: 20.02.2012 19:33:36 

User

20.02.2012 20:37:01
View

Remote Buddy notifies OS X of user activity every time you press a button - the same way the OS X keyboard and mouse drivers do this.

If you want your Mac to go to sleep even though you're using the remote control, you can turn off the option "Button presses create activity (deactivates/delays screen savers)":

http://helpbooks.iospirit.net/remotebuddy/english/ref_prefs_general.html

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz