Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

17.06.2013 00:52:30
ir receiver or bluetooth remote for MacBook Pro retina?
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi all, 
I have just moved from the 2010 MacBook Pro (with handy ir receiver) to the new retina model (without handy ir receiver).

Thinking that it would be simple to get a USB ir receiver I got a cheap one from Ebay. Needless to say, it doesn't work.

Although I love my Apple Remote control I started thinking that Bluetooth would be a better option as the computer has this built in (so it must be better than infra-red right?) but it looks as though I'll need to buy a Wii or a Sony Ericsson phone to use Remote Buddy.

I need some advice as to what I can make work. I use the remote mainly for iTunes but I don't want to pair my iPhone or iPod to my computer as I teach exercise classes and do a lot of jumping around. My Apple remote has been dropped countless times and I don't want to risk either of my more valuable pieces of equipment as I jump around like a fool or moving them continually in and out of my pocket.

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Cheers, 
John

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
Hardware - iPhone™ / iPod® touch / AJAX Remote
User

18.06.2013 00:32:01
Re: ir receiver or bluetooth remote for MacBook Pro retina?
View

Thanks for asking.

Technically, you remain the most flexible with an external IR receiver. And due to the lower technical complexity, IR remotes usually also give you much better battery life (turning on and off an IR diode upon a button press - vs - keeping an encrypted connection with a complex protocol open and alive).

The advantage of Bluetooth is that you don’t need an extra receiver. It also doesn’t require a line of sight. However, you should be aware that the OS X Bluetooth stack has been having issues with handling some of the Bluetooth remotes supported by Remote Buddy since Apple added support for Bluetooth 4.0 in OS X 10.7. I do think Apple will eventually arrive at a version of the OS X Bluetooth stack that’s as stable as it has been in OS X 10.6. However, until then, you can never know whether or not your remote, keyboard or mouse will still perform fine with the next release - minor or major - of OS X.

As for supported Bluetooth remotes, the only devices you should consider are the Sony BD Remote and the Wii Remote („basic“ version, the Wii Remote Plus is not supported as of this writing!). Support for Sony Ericcson phones has always been experimental and is more of an anecdote at that point. It will most likely be dropped in a future release.

Another option you have, btw, is using a supported RF remote. The Keyspan RF Remote for Front Row is now longer made as far as I’m aware of, but it’s a solid piece of hardware that works well with Remote Buddy. Chances are you can find a good price for one of these on eBay, too.

Which option is the right one for you is not upon me to decide though. It really depends on your individual needs.

Regarding the IR Receiver you bought on eBay: what are its USB Product and Vendor ID (you can find that info in System Profiler > USB or System Information > USB)? If you provide me with the info, I can try to find out more about it.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.06.2013 13:53:14
View

Hi Felix,

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel like an ir receiver is probably best for me, I just need to find one that works. The one I got from Ebay (that doesn't work) is shown here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Infrared-Remote-Control-Receiver-Emitter-USB-Adapter-IR-Extender-Repeater-FV88-/130818683865 
I'm fairly sure I should have seen something on the page that would tell me that it wouldn't work, but even looking again I can't see it!

I shall keep looking, and digesting the information you posted.

Thanks again, 
John 

User

27.06.2013 14:06:01
View

Thanks!

Please see

http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/hardware/

for a list of compatible IR receivers.

If you look for a compatible IR receiver: I found this kit to be compatible when I bought it years ago (though there’s always the risk they change the contents of the kit, so if you purchase one, please make sure you can return it just in case):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NMSI86

Alternatively, the "Manta TR1 Only“ offer here is also an option that is known to work and available (and Twisted Melon so far always let me know whenever they change the product, so I can make adjustments in time):

http://twistedmelon.com/shop/

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

01.07.2013 14:06:56
View

Thanks again Felix.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I've ordered the Griffin 4023-ACUSB AirClick USB which is listed on here as compatible (and has a nice small remote).

Will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Cheers, 
John 

User

01.07.2013 22:32:01
View

Happy if I can help.

The AirClick USB really has a lot to like. The only thing that is really not ideal is it’s button layout. You can get around menus with it after some time of getting used to it, but the button layout really isn’t that suitable for directional control.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.07.2013 02:20:40
View

Hi Felix,

The Griffin AirClick USB is a no go. It doesn't support the latest version of OSX. It has been discontinued so there will be no updated drivers. That'll teach me for not triple checking everything before ordering!

Hopefully my mistake will serve to stop others doing the same.

Will go back through your notes to see what I can try next!

John 

User

22.07.2013 10:36:01
View

Hi John,

yes, as far as I know, Griffin has discontinued the AirClick USB as well as support for its accompanying OS X software.

Remote Buddy users are not affected by this, though, since

1) you can only use _either_ Griffin’s software or Remote Buddy, but not both at the same time. If you want to use the remote with Remote Buddy, the Griffin software is not relevant at all.

2) Remote Buddy brings its own driver (Candelair) for the AirClick USB. Candelair is compatible with the latest version of OS X (10.8). This makes the lack of drivers from Griffin irrelevant to Remote Buddy users, who can use the AirClick USB regardless.

Both Remote Buddy and Candelair are under active development.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.09.2013 03:02:24
View

Hi Felix,

Solution found!!!!

Yesterday I received my Mantra TR1 ir receiver and it works a treat.

The AirClick didn't work for me; it may have been a faulty unit so I'm not saying it won't work for anyone.

Thanks for your help. If anyone has the same issue, I highly recommend the Mantra TR1 as I can now use my remote again. Phew!

John 

User

29.09.2013 01:14:22
View

Just to add I have the Manta TR1 also and it works very well with Remote Buddy.