Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

28.10.2014 10:35:46
Behavior Construction Kit loses & scrambles Actions
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I created 4 new Actions in the Action Factory pane of the Behavior Construction Kit. Each of the actions is an AppleScript and is marked "globally available". (I did not define anything in the Behavior Factory pane.)

I then closed the Behavior Construction Kit window and attempted to map the new actions to Apple Infrared Remote buttons in Prefs > Mapping.

One of the newly defined actions was missing from the Perform Action popup. Other buttons were mapped to the wrong action.

I eventually solved the problem of the missing action by duplicating it in the Action Factory and choosing the duplicate in the Mapping pane. I eventually solved the problem of the erroneous mappings by deleting and recreating the actions in the Action Factory. However, this is a serious bug.

Last edited: 28.10.2014 10:38:40 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

28.10.2014 10:51:01
Re: Behavior Construction Kit loses & scrambles Actions
View

Thanks for your feedback.

I find that one of the newly defined actions does not appear in the Perform Action popup.

Only actions that were set to be globally available will turn up here. If that checkbox is not set, actions won't turn up in that popup.

Other buttons get mapped to the wrong action.

Please provide an example if possible.

In which mapping table did you assign your own actions? (f.ex. "Mapping > Global" or "Mapping > Plex")

Was the name of the action unique - or did other actions with the same name exist at the time?

What is the action supposed to do?

What happened instead? (f.ex. was another of your own actions called - or something that RB supplies?)

Thanks in advance.

I eventually solved the problem of the missing action by duplicating it in the Action Factory and choosing the duplicate in the Mapping pane.

If you use a copy of an action that already is set to be globally available, the copy of that action will, of course, also turn up under "Miscellaneous", whereas an action that doesn't have that option set (which is the default), will not turn up there.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

28.10.2014 11:36:50
View

Thanks for your amazingly prompt response!

I find that one of the newly defined actions does not appear in the Perform Action popup.

Only actions that were set to be globally available will turn up here. If that checkbox is not set, actions won't turn up in that popup.

All my newly defined actions were set to be globally available.

Other buttons get mapped to the wrong action.

Please provide an example if possible.

In which mapping table did you assign your own actions? (f.ex. "Mapping > Global" or "Mapping > Plex")

Mapping > Global

Was the name of the action unique - or did other actions with the same name exist at the time?

Unique

What is the action supposed to do?

AppleScript that tests whether a specified application is running and, if so, sends it a command.

What happened instead? (f.ex. was another of your own actions called - or something that RB supplies?)

Another of my own actions was called. (Also an AppleScript.)

I eventually solved the problem of the missing action by duplicating it in the Action Factory and choosing the duplicate in the Mapping pane.

If you use a copy of an action that already is set to be globally available, the copy of that action will, of course, also turn up under "Miscellaneous", whereas an action that doesn't have that option set (which is the default), will not turn up there.

Because I duplicated it, the “globally available” property also was duplicated, so the status of this property was identical for the visible and invisible actions.

I should add that, more strangely, when I duplicated a missing action, both it and its duplicate then became visible in the mapping table (Prefs > Mapping).

Is it better to do this sort of troubleshooting by direct email instead of the forum? I can email you my plist so you can inspect it for obvious corruption. Currently, of the 6 actions I created, 2 are missing in the mapping table.

Last edited: 28.10.2014 11:38:44

Last edited: 28.10.2014 11:39:39 

User

28.10.2014 11:52:59
View

Update: I quit and relaunched Remote Buddy. The two actions that previously were missing now appear in the mapping table.