Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

01.11.2014 15:53:46
Beo4
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have my B&O television connected to my MacMini. It uses a so called PUC that simulates the Apple Remote. I am using Kodi (XBMC Helix) and it works to control Kodi/XBMC (as long as Remote Buddy does not run).

I now installed Remote Buddy as I wanted to further improve the key-mapping for Kodi/XBMC and also find a way to launch Kodi/XBMC. After starting Remote Buddy, it no longer works that I can use the remote to control Kodi/XBMC.

Is there any step-by-step guide how to get it running? 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

06.11.2014 16:30:01
Re: Beo4
View

I have my B&O television connected to my MacMini. It uses a so called PUC that simulates the Apple Remote.

How does the PUC connect to your Mac Mini? Is it just sending Apple Remote IR commands?

I am using Kodi (XBMC Helix) and it works to control Kodi/XBMC (as long as Remote Buddy does not run).

Kodi was not supported by Remote Buddy until today, so you could not control it with Remote Buddy.

You can now download an updated XBMC Behaviour with Kodi support right from within Remote Buddy: 
https://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/188/Kodi/ 

User

08.11.2014 09:35:03
View

Thanks Felix, very much appreciate the update, which gives me some control with my Beo4.

Unfortunately, it does not fully work yet though. For example, I cannot "long-press" "menu" to get the remotebuddy menu. Also, only very few keys actually work in XBMC/Kodi. Basically just up, down, left and right.

The so called PUC sends Apple Remote signals to the MacMini. My issue is that I don't know what keys on my Beo4 remote are actually mapped and how. Up, down, left and right are quite straight forward, but not clear to me what about "play", "stop", "back", "menu", and whatever else on my Beo4 is actually mapped.

Is there any functionality in RemoteBuddy that lets me press a remote button and it shows me as what button MacMini recognizes it. For example, I would press "right" and RemoteBuddy tells me that this is an AppleRemote right-click, etc.

Thanks in advance!!! 

User

20.11.2014 03:48:22
View

Thanks Felix, very much appreciate the update, which gives me some control with my Beo4.

Unfortunately, it does not fully work yet though. For example, I cannot "long-press" "menu" to get the remotebuddy menu. Also, only very few keys actually work in XBMC/Kodi. Basically just up, down, left and right.

The so called PUC sends Apple Remote signals to the MacMini. My issue is that I don't know what keys on my Beo4 remote are actually mapped and how. Up, down, left and right are quite straight forward, but not clear to me what about "play", "stop", "back", "menu", and whatever else on my Beo4 is actually mapped.

Is there any functionality in RemoteBuddy that lets me press a remote button and it shows me as what button MacMini recognizes it. For example, I would press "right" and RemoteBuddy tells me that this is an AppleRemote right-click, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Felix, any chance to look into this? Thanks! 
User

21.11.2014 14:56:01
View

I must have missed your question at the end of your post. Sorry for not replying earlier!

Remote Buddy does not have this functionality at the moment, but our developer section has a tool that does just that.

Inside the HIDRemote SDK (http://www.iospirit.com/index.php/mode/files/type/file/id/146/HIDRemoteSDK.zip) in the Example folder, there's an app called "HID Remote Example.app" that will show what buttons are pressed. You may need to use "Open" in the Finder's context menu because that tool was built before Apple introduced Gatekeeper and is therefore unsigned.

Once the application is running, leave the mode setting at "Exclusive (Auto)" and click on "Start". When that app is front most and you have Remote Buddy's driver (Candelair) installed, Remote Buddy will automatically recognize "HID Remote Example" as a HIDRemote-driven app and pass button presses along automatically.

The only button press that won't be passed along will be a long press of the menu button. But that will open Remote Buddy's menu instead, so you get visible feedback for this as well.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz