Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

16.11.2014 16:50:49
Trouble setting remote buddy to work with Harmony Smart
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I have added the Harmony remote asa bluetooth device (Sony PS3) and the activity, 
now i would like to use the same activity to turn on my TV and Receiver., how can i do this?

when i add the TV and Receiver to the remote buddy Activity, I cannot use increase the volume of the receiver with the Harmony remote, it takes on the actions of the receiver but not the Remote buddy behaviour.. Can anyone help. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Configuration
Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Hardware - Sony® BD Remote Control
Hardware - Wii™ Remote
User

21.11.2014 15:10:01
Re: Trouble setting remote buddy to work with Harmony Smart
View

I have not had a chance to try to set up the Harmony Smart Remote with a setup involving several devices, so the following is more or less a guess at my part.

Chances are that, when you add a device to an activity, the Harmony software tries to be smart about it and assign particular keys to particular devices automatically.

You should be able to select the commands of your choice for the buttons on your remote the same way that you'd use in the section "Unlocking all buttons of the Smart Control" in this blog post:

https://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/184/-/

For a complete overview of what command you'd need to assign to a button to send it to Remote Buddy, the table in this FAQ should help:

https://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/23/Hardware-Harmony-Smart-Control/entry/265/-/

To my understanding, Harmony will send power on and power off commands to the devices in an activity depending on your settings in the respective part of the app. You might have success by tweaking the settings mentioned in "Tweaking power settings" in

https://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/184/-/ (again)

(but this time for your TV and receiver).

You may also find additional help in Logitech's support resources for their remotes, including forums, a knowledge base and direct customer support at http://support.myharmony.com/ .

Hope that helps.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.11.2014 17:12:10
View

Hi Felix,

you advice was great, what you posted got me thinking that all i needed to do was add the required Devices to the Remote buddy Activity and then check the mapping of the keys to ensure they control the device i wanted. Guess what it worked. It took around an hour to remap some of the keys as adding the devices (TV & Receiver) some keys were automatically mapped to them.

I left the volume key mapped to the audio receiver and then changed the other keys so they were mapped to Remote buddy (adding the TV and Audio changed the mapping), after fixing this everything worked as i had originally intended. A lot less complicated, less time consuming and conveinent than the 10 apple remote method. Now I'd like to map the Green ,Blue, Red and Yellow keys to directly launch applications whilst using the remote buddy activity, can this be done and how.

BTW I have also paired the Harmony bluetooth keyboard which also needs re-mapping, it works but the trackpad is not active. but to get it to work i had to add either a device as Plex or a device as Apple computer. I'm a little lost how to get both working smoothly with Remote buddy.

Once again thanks Felix for your help. 

User

01.12.2014 22:33:01
View

Now I'd like to map the Green ,Blue, Red and Yellow keys to directly launch applications whilst using the remote buddy activity, can this be done and how.

Sure, this can be done. If you want these buttons to only do one thing - launch these apps - then:

1) Go to Prefs > Mapping > Global mapping 
2) Select the respective action "Behaviour > Activate [name of app] Behaviour" for the respective buttons

BTW I have also paired the Harmony bluetooth keyboard which also needs re-mapping, it works but the trackpad is not active. but to get it to work i had to add either a device as Plex or a device as Apple computer. I'm a little lost how to get both working smoothly with Remote buddy.

Due to the design of the OS X Bluetooth stack, you're likely to run into issues when trying to pair the same Harmony Hub with two different identities (PS3 Remote, Keyboard, ..) to the same Mac. For details, please see "4. soft keyboard pairing" in this FAQ:

https://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/23/Hardware-Harmony-Smart-Control/entry/261/Nothing-happens-when-I-press-a-button-on-the-Smart-Control-/

Cheers, 
Felix 

User

03.12.2014 00:34:01
Re: Re: Trouble setting remote buddy to work with Harmony Smart
View

On a somewhat related note...

I have very good remote control using Harmony with Remote Buddy for 
Plex running on Mac Mini. (Harmony Smart Control as PS3 over 
Bluetooth)

The setup information Felix cited here were accurate and sufficient 
for nearly all my needs.

The one application that is still not cooperating is the (not so 
super) DVD drive on the Mini. Can anyone recommend either a better DVD 
player or tips on RB setup? I don't seem to have any keys on the 
Harmony that the Apple app responds to. I'm very open to upgrading to 
a more capable device, as long as it works well on the Mini.

Thanks in advance

Yours in RB happiness, 
Keith

Harmony Smart Control 
Mac Mini with Remote Buddy 
TCL LCD TV (L40FHDF11TA) 
AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V673) 
Roku 3 
Keith

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Keith Corbett <> wrote:

On a somewhat related note...

I have very good remote control using Harmony with Remote Buddy for Plex 
running on Mac Mini. (Harmony Smart Control as PS3 over Bluetooth)

The setup information Felix cited here were accurate and sufficient for 
nearly all my needs.

The one application that is still not cooperating is the (not so super) DVD 
drive on the Mini. Can anyone recommend either a better DVD player or tips 
on RB setup? I don't seem to have any keys on the Harmony that the Apple app 
responds to. I'm very open to upgrading to a more capable device, as long as 
it works well on the Mini.

Thanks in advance 
Yours in RB happiness, 
Keith

Harmony Smart Control 
Mac Mini with Remote Buddy 
TCL LCD TV (L40FHDF11TA) 
AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V673) 
Roku 3

Keith

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Felix 
wrote:

Now I'd like to map the Green ,Blue, Red and Yellow keys to directly 
launch applications whilst using the remote buddy activity, can this be done 
and how.

Sure, this can be done. If you want these buttons to only do one thing - 
launch these apps - then:

1) Go to Prefs > Mapping > Global mapping 
2) Select the respective action "Behaviour > Activate [name of app] 
Behaviour" for the respective buttons

BTW I have also paired the Harmony bluetooth keyboard which also needs 
re-mapping, it works but the trackpad is not active. but to get it to work i 
had to add either a device as Plex or a device as Apple computer. I'm a 
little lost how to get both working smoothly with Remote buddy.

Due to the design of the OS X Bluetooth stack, you're likely to run into 
issues when trying to pair the same Harmony Hub with two different 
identities (PS3 Remote, Keyboard, ..) to the same Mac. For details, please 
see "4. soft keyboard pairing" in this FAQ:

https://www.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/23/Hardware-Harmony-Smart-Control/entry/261/Nothing-happens-when-I-press-a-button-on-the-Smart-Control-/

Cheers, 
Felix

[standard mail footer removed]