Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

07.01.2011 16:14:00
Re: Feature Request - Honest Harmony Support

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi,

I'm sure that implementing Harmony support is not as straight forward as one may think. First off, the configuration of the Harmony remote itself determines what IR commands are being sent to RB. This begs the question: what config would RB support: Plex, Microsoft Media Center or another flavor of remote. The Harmony setup is also something ioSpirit does not control and any problems on Logitech's end with regards to erroneous configs would end up on IOSPIRIT's plate to support or work around in RB. Once we've crossed that barrier then there's the mapping exercise. All the apps now need to be remapped for this specific remote, that's another job with potential pitfalls. And needless to say we'd need a good way to manage the remote in RB.

Barring all of this there are some suggestions that I think could help along the way: 
- ability to quickly unset (set to nothing) all button/action configurations for a given remote in a given behaviour. 
This would help anyone reconfiguring their mappings to support a Harmony or other device to get a clean slate to start mapping from. It's not sexy but clicking 3000 times is also not fun. 
- ability to copy/paste the button/action configurations from one remote to another. 
This would help in case you want to copy say a complete "virtual button press: xxx" mapping from one remote to another. 
- ability to rename a remote's buttons and group several remotes together. 
Having the ability to rename remote's button and grouping remotes (or buttons) together would make it far easier for someone to create their mappings logically instead of always looking things up in an Excel table for mapping. 
- All of the above could be toggled with an "show advanced menus" so as to hide it from other users.

I'm bringing forward these suggestions as I believe these are some basic tools that would help any user configure their "non apple remotes" in a faster way while not imposing the burden of supporting specific Harmony configurations on iOSpirit.

That being said, if IOSPIRIT were able to get a harmony configuration logged with the Logitech database that would of course be awesome.

Kind regards, 
Thomas V.

Thread-display::