Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

26.10.2010 03:55:51
Feature Request - Honest Harmony Support

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I've been building a HTPC based off a 2010 Mac Mini with the main plan to run Plex & EyeTV. 
When I first started the process I assumed I was limited to only an Apple Remote or that I would need a second IR receiver to get more button support. Certainly reading the RemoteBuddy supported hardware page (http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/hardware/) that looks like the only option.

But over time I started seeing people posting that they were using Harmony remotes on their mac WITHOUT a second receiver. After more reading and more tutorials I found that using RemoteBuddy along with the Plex device on the Harmony we could have all sorts of buttons mapped by sending multiple Apple remotes with different ID's. 
For those reading this and not knowing how to do this I blogged the full process here - http://blog.lotech.co.nz/2010/10/mac-mini-with-harmony-remote/

So my request is - is there plan to, or can you please plan to include basic support for the Harmony/Plex remote setup in RemoteBuddy. I've thought it through and this is how I imagine it would work best -

At the moment when a user points the Plex Harmony setup at the Mac, it detects the 10 different remote ID's and shows a listing of 10 remotes (http://blog.lotech.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/RB01.png). For an end user this is confusing as hell (especially once you hit the mapping section). I understand that really all that's happening is the Harmony is pretending to be 10 different Apple remotes but we don't need to see this complexity.

If you standardize your support based elusively on the Plex Harmony remote map surely you could add a check box 'treat multiple IDs as single remote / AKA Harmony Mode' then on the mapping screen instead of 10 remotes you see a picture of a Harmony remote (I believe almost all of them have the same buttons except for the Harmony 1100).

Even if what I ask is more work than you're interested in at the very least you should add Logitech Harmony to your supported hardware page (with an asterisk saying involves more work but is possible). 
One reason I never downloaded RB was that from reading your page I assumed it just wouldn't work - of course I now know it is actually supported and brought RB straight away (and from what I can tell your is still the only app that will do this).

Other RemoteBuddy users doing this please standup and be heard - this is an obvious and would be surely a welcome addition. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
Hardware - EyeTV Receiver
Hardware - Harmony® Smart Control
Thread-display::