Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

29.11.2011 23:22:01
Re: Plex 0.9.5 - Behavior support

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Excuse me, but I'm not quick to call it Plex' fault. I simply know what Remote Buddy does - and what is within its sphere of influence - and what is not. This, clearly, is not.

Remote Buddy's "Navigation: …" actions sends UDP packets which basically say "button x pressed" and "button x released". The packets sent are _identical_ in content to those sent by Plex' own Apple Remote Helper. And that's where Remote Buddy's sphere of influence already ends.

Putting that button press into context - whether, f.ex. a press of the up button moves up an entry in a menu or triggers another action (like volume control) - and executing the appropriate action is taking place in Plex itself. IIRC Plex uses a bunch of XML files that, depending on input source, map incoming button and key presses to actions - and then executes them.

Since the problem here is not that Plex doesn't receive the button presses (which is the only part Remote Buddy is involved in - on the sending end), but instead that Plex doesn't execute the expected action in the expected fashion in response to receiving a button press event (and remember: mapping the received input event to a (re)action is solely Plex' task), the problem is clearly located in an area that's fully controlled by Plex itself - and which Remote Buddy is not involved in at all.

- Felix Schwarz

P.S.: If you want to route your remote's input through Plex' own Apple Remote Helper, you can use Remote Buddy's Virtual Remote to do so (http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/, 2nd question - regardless of whether you use a Harmony or not). 

Thread-display::