Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

16.06.2011 22:05:20
Problem with Lion
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi,

so far almost everything works fine with RB on the latest Lion build, there is only one Problem, after starting RB, the remote did nothing, workaround for me is to go into settings window of RB and just close it, then RB works until reboot or restart of RB, i tried wiping the config. and reinstall, but it didn't change anything.

Is this Problem already known? or is something wrong on my end?

thanks.

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

16.06.2011 22:16:01
Re: Problem with Lion
View

Please let me remind you that - if you've running a Lion pre-release - your under NDA and not supposed to talk about it in public.

I can't comment on this for the same reason. I'd be in breach of the NDA if I did.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

20.07.2011 16:02:30
View

I tried Remote Buddy with the early betas and it had problems. I'm wondering if it works better with the final build, or if we should wait for an update for RB? 
User

21.07.2011 10:33:43
View

Just installed release version and RB still doesn't work. Same problem... No response. 
User

21.07.2011 11:01:01
View

Remote Buddy has been updated for Lion with release 1.18.

Please check that you

1) Have downloaded and installed version 1.18 of Remote Buddy. 
You can find the version number of the currently running version by selecting "About".

2) That you've installed / updated the version of Candelair bundled with this release (also version 1.18).

3) That you've rebooted after installing / updating the driver (as requested by Remote Buddy). 
If you have, you should now see version 1.18 displayed as installed, bundled and loaded when selecting Setup Wizard > Install Driver > Install Driver.

If the problem persists, your problem may originate from how you configured your system - or other applications you have installed. You can download and run Remote Control Diagnostics to check for common errors of this kind: 
http://www.iospirit.com/labs/remotecontroldiagnostics/

- Felix Schwarz 

User

21.07.2011 13:15:54
View

I am having the exact same problem this poster described. Just upgraded to Lion (Final Release Version) and the menu button does nothing unless I enter preferences first. Simply entering preferences and quitting without changing anything causes the remote to work correctly.. 
User

21.07.2011 14:29:01
View

What remote control and receiver are you using?

Have you installed the Remote Buddy driver?

Do you have Boxee, Plex or XBMC - or any other software that includes a background helper tools targeting the Apple Remote - installed?

Please also run Remote Control Diagnostics in a situation where the remote (if it's the Apple Remote) doesn't seem to work and copy and paste the results here. This saves a ton of questions and time.

- Felix Schwarz 

User

21.07.2011 16:20:42
View

What remote control and receiver are you using?

Have you installed the Remote Buddy driver?

Do you have Boxee, Plex or XBMC - or any other software that includes a background helper tools targeting the Apple Remote - installed?

Please also run Remote Control Diagnostics in a situation where the remote (if it's the Apple Remote) doesn't seem to work and copy and paste the results here. This saves a ton of questions and time.

- Felix Schwarz

Thanks for the prompt reply. Both Remote Buddy and the driver have auto updated to the latest version. I do have Boxee installed but this has been the case since I installed this software over a year ago without issue. I am using a logitech harmony remote which simulates an apple remote.

Please find the diagnostic log below.

Regards,

Alecs 
Diagnostics are performed by Remote Control Diagnostics V1.0 on a Macmini3,1 running OS X 1070. 
Searching for Hardware 
AppleŽ IR Receiver found on USB bus. 
Checking Drivers 
Known Candelair/Remote Buddy driver is loaded 
Candelair/Remote Buddy driver version 1.18 found 
Driver supports exclusive access 
Applications using outdated AppleŽ Remote support code may not work properly 
With OS X 10.6.2, the layout of the HID descriptor of the OS X AppleŽ IR Receiver driver has changed. This change requires all applications that depend on the specific layout(s) of previous OS releases to be updated by their developers. They'll otherwise not react to AppleŽ Remote button presses. Developers can avoid this and other problems entirely by using our free HIDRemote class that doesn't have any such dependencies. Users of affected software in most cases can work around the problem by installing Candelair and enabling its Legacy Compatibility Mode (at System Preferences > Candelair). 
Checking Preferences 
RowmoteIREmu is not limited to a particular remote 
IR Receiver is not limited to a particular remote's ID 
IR Receiver is enabled 
Checking running applications 
OS X AppleŽ Remote support process found 
Testing exclusive access 
RowmoteIREmu: applications can get exclusive access 
IR Receiver: applications can get exclusive access 

User

21.07.2011 20:49:02
View

Thanks for your quick reply.

Since I can't reproduce the issue (with or without the Candelair driver installed) and the only difference between your and my system that I can see is that you have RowmoteIREmu installed and I don't: please try uninstalling RowmoteIREmu and subsequently rebooting. Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.07.2011 10:19:09
View

I have found a workaround for this issue which may hopefully assist in identifying the root cause. By unchecking the "Start Remote Buddy at login time" box, and instead manually adding the application to the "User/Login Items", all works fine again. I should note that prior to making this change, the application was starting normally, however the remote was unresponsive until I would use a mouse to enter preferences. 
User

22.07.2011 10:50:12
View

Thanks for the info.

I can now reproduce the issue.

I don't know why, yet, but the issue only occurs when the "Hide" option is checked for Remote Buddy at System Preferences > Users > Login Items.

To fix the problem, unchecking the "Hide" option there (as pictured at http://d.pr/dx2z ) solves the problem:

I hope to identify the cause of issue as well as address it soon.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.07.2011 14:15:02
View

Upon further investigation, this is what I found:

1) Remote Buddy will react to all button presses correctly regardless of whether or not the "Hide" option is checked.

2) Remote Buddy will also open the menu, but it will remain hidden due to that option. If you launch Remote Buddy, press "Menu", then click on its Dock icon, you can see that the menu is open.

I've released a silent update (you'll have to redownload RB from http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/download/ to get it) that automatically "unhides" Remote Buddy if it's hidden - which fixes the problem.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz