Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

22.07.2011 08:03:49
Lion, RemoteBuddy will not wake monitor
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
I just upgraded to OSX 10.7 Lion and my remote will no longer wake up my monitor from sleep. It worked fine under 10.6.8. My computer is not asleep, the monitor is just in power save mode. I know the commands are being received because when I wake the computer via the keyboard the RemoteBuddy menu is up on the screen. I've also noticed since upgrading to Lion that I have to hit a key on the keyboard or click the mouse to wake the monitor where as I used to just be able to touch the mouse. I don't know if thats related, but it seems it might be.

Details 
Receiver: Phillips OVU 4003 (Microsoft MCE USB reciever) 
Remote: Logitech Harmony 880 emulating an Apple Remote 
Remote Buddy: v1.18

I tried running the RemoteControlDiagnostics app, but had no luck because I don't have an Apple IR receiver on my MacPro. 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

22.07.2011 10:34:02
Re: Lion, RemoteBuddy will not wake monitor
View

Thanks for your feedback.

I've also noticed since upgrading to Lion that I have to hit a key on the keyboard or click the mouse to wake the monitor where as I used to just be able to touch the mouse. I don't know if thats related, but it seems it might be.

This is the new default behaviour of Lion and not caused, controllable or influenced by Remote Buddy. It has already annoyed me ever since I started using Lion Pre-Releases. (For reference, here's a random forum post on this topic from Apple's Support Communities: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3193005).

I just upgraded to OSX 10.7 Lion and my remote will no longer wake up my monitor from sleep. It worked fine under 10.6.8. My computer is not asleep, the monitor is just in power save mode. I know the commands are being received because when I wake the computer via the keyboard the RemoteBuddy menu is up on the screen.

What Remote Buddy does right now when you press a button is to post "activity" (to wake a sleeping screen) as well as quickly move the mouse by a pixel back and forth (to wake any sleeping screen savers). Both doesn't seem to have an effect under Lion.

The only alternative available right now would be for Remote Buddy to send a keystroke - which it can't actually do, because, depending on where you are, this might trigger an action in an application.

I have already filed a bug report with Apple on this and hope for a solution, soon.

I'm sorry that - for the moment - I can't offer you a solution other than to disable display sleep in System Preferences > Energy.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

22.07.2011 11:30:10
View

Thanks for your detailed reply.

This is the new default behaviour of Lion and not caused, controllable or influenced by Remote Buddy. It has already annoyed me ever since I started using Lion Pre-Releases. (For reference, here's a random forum post on this topic from Apple's Support Communities: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3193005).

Ok so you are saying that the new "feature" in Lion to only wake the monitor on click or keystroke is what caused the issue in Remote Buddy. Is everyone experiencing this problem then? Including people with Apple IR receivers? And users that don't use Remote Buddy, but just the apple remote with front row?

The only alternative available right now would be for Remote Buddy to send a keystroke - which it can't actually do, because, depending on where you are, this might trigger an action in an application.

Actually, if you can detect when the monitor is asleep then sending a keystroke does not affect the foreground application. I regularly wake my monitor by hitting random keys and the first keystroke is always suppressed, the subsequent ones even before the monitor is fully awake are not though. Another option might be to click on a safe location on the screen like the Apple menu and then a second time to make it go away. It would probably happen faster than the monitor could wake so the user would never see it.

Last edited: 22.07.2011 11:30:34 

User

24.07.2011 18:23:05
View

I'm also experiencing the issue. I wonder does anyone know of a way to wake the monitor without using the KB? (script, utility, etc) - something i can activate with the remote.

User

26.07.2011 18:33:37
View

(I haven't tested it yet, but thought you might already know) - if we disable monitor sleep - will the computer still go to sleep (and then wake up on remote button press)? That might be an acceptable substitute for me, since presumably the monitor will go off when the computer goes to sleep. 
User

27.07.2011 08:44:23
View

CharlesK - I tried that and no success. 
I think the actual problem is in the IR driver. In lion when the computer in sleep mode or monitor is disabled it just ignores any IR commands from any remote. 
User

27.07.2011 22:26:02
View

Ok so you are saying that the new "feature" in Lion to only wake the monitor on click or keystroke is what caused the issue in Remote Buddy.

Yes. It's not a bug. I can actually pin-point the lines and comments in Lion's kernel source code.

And users that don't use Remote Buddy, but just the apple remote with front row?

Apple removed Front Row with Lion. But yes, if you put the screen to sleep (Ctrl + Shift + Eject), presses on the Apple Remote won't wake it, either.

Actually, if you can detect when the monitor is asleep then sending a keystroke does not affect the foreground application.

I saw this in the kernel source, too. From what I saw, it appears to only be true for keystrokes coming from actual hardware, though.

I have also verified that emulated keystrokes or mouse button presses won't wake the display, either. This, too, appears to be a new Lion feature.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

27.07.2011 22:36:01
View

Apple has now put the kernel sources for OS X Lion online, so I had a chance to look whether this behaviour of Lion is intentional - and if so, how the display can be woken regardless.

The bad news first: 
Yes, this new behavior of Lion appears to be fully intentional (at least the comments in the source code as well as the source code suggest so). And it's hardcoded right into the HID system and USB drivers. I can't see any option - not even a hidden option - to turn this off.

The good news: 
I still found a way to wake sleeping screens. It's not a hack. And it uses only public APIs. I'm testing it since Monday and hope to finish tests soon. Unless anything unexpected turns up in the final tests, the next Remote Buddy update should again wake sleeping screens on every button press.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

28.07.2011 07:44:39
View

I also can't wake the computer from the sleep. Will you also try to solve this issue? 
User

28.07.2011 10:20:01
View

This issue should be covered as well (it is in my tests). What in fact currently happens is this:

1) the remote wakes the system, but the display remains powered off 
2) the system waits a few seconds, then goes back to sleep.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

28.07.2011 10:51:41
View

Oh, You are totally correct. Now I understand the flicking of the led. 
Is there an ETA for the fix? (I'm ready to become a beta tester :) 
User

28.07.2011 17:16:01
View

Remote Buddy 1.18.1 is now available.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.07.2011 11:13:01
View

Awesome! Worked perfectly. 
User

29.07.2011 23:28:32
View

That did the trick. Nice work. 
User

31.07.2011 07:35:26
View

It works great. Thanks 
User

31.07.2011 09:48:02
View

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

19.09.2011 14:09:25
View

Hi guys,

New to remote buddy. Got it primarily because of this thread. I need to get by Mini working for WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)...

But, I don't understand how to set it up properly. I have a Harmoney One remote, but what do I have to send/press/map to get it to wake???

Can someone PLEASE help. I spent like 4 hours without success...

Regards.

Van

User

19.09.2011 14:16:02
Re: Re: Lion, RemoteBuddy will not wake monitor
View

Thanks for asking.

Please verify that you

1) are running the latest version of Remote Buddy

2) have Remote Buddy's driver (Candelair) installed (Remote Buddy will suggest this to you if you haven't, but you can also check/install in Remote Buddy's Setup Wizard).

3) that the option "Button presses create activity" under Prefs > General > Advanced… is ticked (it's by default).

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

19.09.2011 17:21:59
View

Felix,

I bought/installed remote Buddy yesterday, so it should be the latest version with Candelair installed (recall it wanted to do that) and option checked. I recheck tonight when I get home...

I sometimes get it to un-sleep when I press a button on the remote multiple times... But not sure how to do this as part of a Harmony One activity switch...

Is there a basic installation guide somewhere for Lion? Is this functionality reserved for Apple remotes?

Regards.

Van 

User

19.09.2011 22:46:02
View

I bought/installed remote Buddy yesterday, so it should be the latest version with Candelair installed (recall it wanted to do that) and option checked. I recheck tonight when I get home…

Thanks. It don't want to point out the obvious, but for completeness have to say it: please also verify that Remote Buddy is actually running when you try to wake your Mac. Otherwise, wakeup behaviour will be Lion's default behaviour, which won't wake the display unless your system is fully asleep. Which, under Lion, often isn't the case even if you select "Sleep" and the display turned off in response.

I sometimes get it to un-sleep when I press a button on the remote multiple times... But not sure how to do this as part of a Harmony One activity switch…

Any Apple Remote button code should do, provided you haven't limited your Apple IR Receiver to a single Apple Remote via pairing. You can perform a fully automatic check for this and other error sources using Remote Control Diagnostics (free download from the Labs section of our website). If you run RCD, please copy and paste the results in the reply.

As with regards to your Harmony configuration question, please don't hesitate to contact Logitech's support if you need help with that. They offer excellent support.

Is there a basic installation guide somewhere for Lion?

Remote Buddy isn't installed any different than any other software on the Mac. It works out of the box when used with a supported device and default settings.

Is this functionality reserved for Apple remotes?

The Apple IR Receiver will only wake your system (and Remote Buddy then get a chance to complete the wake up of the display and by this fully wake the system) when all of these requirements are met:

a) it receives a correctly formed Apple Remote IR code (the Apple IR Receiver performs IR decoding directly in hardware and only supports Apple Remote IR codes)

b) the Apple Remote IR code it receives is sent by an Apple Remote that your system accepts input from (=> only a single Apple Remote if you paired one, and any Apple Remote if you didn't pair one. You can remove any pairing at System Preferences > Security).

c) your Apple IR Receiver isn't disabled (this option, too, can be found at System Preferences > Security). IIRC the Apple IR Receiver was disabled by default on all Macs I recently bought that shipped with Lion.

Sidenote: when you run RCD, it'll also check for b) and c).

Although the Harmony Remote often doesn't send the same IR code as a real Apple Remote (timing-wise), it's usually close enough as that the Apple IR Receiver still recognizes it as such and can decode it successfully.

I recommend using the "Apple Remote" device profile for testing before trying with other device profiles, which may not have codes for all buttons of your remote or contain other errors.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

28.11.2011 18:54:11
View

Just switched from a HTPC (Win7) to a Mac Mini with OSX Lion. Using XBMC. Everything seems to be working fine so far (after some tweaking/searching) but I am unable to wake the Mac Mini from sleep using the Apple remote. Not that big a deal, can use the keyboard but it's not exactly user friendly either.

The button presses work fine though in XBMC, so the only reason for me to get Remote Buddy is to turn back on the possibility to resume after sleep using the remote, quite a high price to pay for such a trivial feature.

Any idea if this wil be put back into Lion? Or should I just downgrade to Leopard (got a CD)? Is there a reason to say with Lion just for XMBC where the sleep from iR does work out of the box? 

User

02.12.2011 18:55:17
View

Folks, 
I installed the free 30 day trial version of remote buddy yesterday

Setup: 
Mac mini 2011 with AMD GPU 
XBMC (dharma) 
Apple IR Remote (silver one)

I end up putting the mac to sleep (suspend) from within xbmc. 
Next, when i click on the remote, the mac wakes up (for a very short time) and goes right back to sleep

Now if I click again, this time the mac wakes up and stays awake

Am I missing some remote buddy config. 
Also, how do I get the xbmc context menu to show up when I keep the menu button held (within xbmc)? 
I tried mapping the context menu action to the menu hold button but that didn't work :(

Thanks