Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

30.10.2011 10:25:06
Plex 0.9.5 - Behavior support
View

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hello!

Remote Buddy gets confused when the new 0.9.5 Plex version is installed and removes the Plex behavior.

I have RB 1.19.2 installed together with OSX 10.7.2. No problems with Remote Buddy and Plex before the 0.9.5 upgrade and the behavior is missing from the behavior list. If an older version of Plex is installed, the behavior shows in the list. If trying to install a .rbbehavior file from the disk image, an alert box says: "The version of Plex.rbbehaviour (1.165) you want to install is not newer than the version already installed (1.165)" - so the behavior is obviously installed, but it just doesn't recognize the 0.9.5 Plex.

You can get the Plex version from here: http://www.plexapp.com/download/mac-download-new.php

Thanks a bunch,

Markus

A happy remote buddy user since 2006 

These entries from the FAQ may be relevant to this topic:

Hardware - Apple® Remote
User

30.10.2011 11:07:44
Re: Plex 0.9.5 - Behavior support
View

Just a +1 for this behaviour. Candleair, OSX and remote buddy all up to date.

As soon as Plex 0.9.5 is installed Remote Buddy stops working with Plex 

User

30.10.2011 11:19:53
View

Add another +1 for this... I would love to see an updated Plex behaviour very soon!

Thank you very much! 

User

30.10.2011 11:26:41
View

+1 
User

30.10.2011 11:31:23
View

I should add that RemoteBuddy no longer displays Plex as an option in preference panes either. 
User

30.10.2011 11:43:01
View

I've followed the instructions in the link below to no avail.

https://secure.iospirit.com/support/faqs/remotebuddy/category/4/Behaviours/entry/160/The-installed-application-XY-for-which-a-behaviour-exists-does-not-turn-up-in-Remote-Buddys-menu-What-should-I-do/?&clshop_id=8

Although I couldn't see where to check the bundle identifier that remote buddy uses

User

30.10.2011 11:55:38
View

I've tried updating the info.plist in .../Remote Buddy.app/Contents/Plugins/Plex.rbbehaviour/Contents without success

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> 
<plist version="1.0"> 
<dict> 
<key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key> 
<string>11C73</string> 
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key> 
<string>English</string> 
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key> 
<string>Plex</string> 
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> 
<string>com.iospiritgmbh.scriptedbehaviours.plex</string> 
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key> 
<string>6.0</string> 
<key>CFBundleName</key> 
<string>Plex</string> 
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key> 
<string>PLEX</string> 
<key>CFBundleSignature</key> 
<string>PLEX</string> 
<key>CFBundleVersion</key> 
<string>0.9.5-8111115</string> 
<key>DTCompiler</key> 
<string>com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0</string> 
<key>DTPlatformBuild</key> 
<string>4D199</string> 
<key>DTPlatformVersion</key> 
<string>GM</string> 
<key>DTSDKBuild</key> 
<string>10K549</string> 
<key>DTSDKName</key> 
<string>macosx10.6</string> 
<key>DTXcode</key> 
<string>0420</string> 
<key>DTXcodeBuild</key> 
<string>4D199</string> 
<key>NSPrincipalClass</key> 
<string>BehaviourPlex</string> 
</dict> 
</plist>

User

30.10.2011 12:07:48
View

Tried a couple of other versions of the info.plist

One where I only changed DTPlatformBuild and DTXcodeBuild and one as below

Both with no luck

Although I am now officially out of my depth :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> 
<plist version="1.0"> 
<dict> 
<key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key> 
<string>10K549</string> 
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key> 
<string>English</string> 
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key> 
<string>Plex</string> 
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> 
<string>com.iospiritgmbh.scriptedbehaviours.plex</string> 
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key> 
<string>6.0</string> 
<key>CFBundleName</key> 
<string>Plex</string> 
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key> 
<string>BNDL</string> 
<key>CFBundleSignature</key> 
<string>????</string> 
<key>CFBundleVersion</key> 
<string>1.165</string> 
<key>DTCompiler</key> 
<string>4.0</string> 
<key>DTPlatformBuild</key> 
<string>4D199</string> 
<key>DTPlatformVersion</key> 
<string>GM/string> 
<key>DTSDKBuild</key> 
<string>10K549</string> 
<key>DTSDKName</key> 
<string>macosx10.6</string> 
<key>DTXcode</key> 
<string>0420</string> 
<key>DTXcodeBuild</key> 
<string>4D199</string> 
<key>NSPrincipalClass</key> 
<string>BehaviourPlex</string> 
</dict> 
</plist> 

User

30.10.2011 15:52:30
View

+1 
User

30.10.2011 17:23:36
View

Same issue here. Thanks in advance for your help! 
User

30.10.2011 19:03:00
View

+1. Same issue here though I can use Plex 0.9.3.4 with the new Plex Media Server. It's just new Plex 0.9.5 that seems to be the problem. 
User

30.10.2011 19:42:57
View

Similar issues as everyone else here. Plex 0.9.5 breaks working Remote Buddy/Plex setups. Not sure whose responsibility it is to fix it, but the plea forums are currently hosed. 
User

30.10.2011 20:10:50
View

Also just throwing in a +1, I need Remote Buddy to have Plex support, without it Plex can't be controlled with the Apple Remote. Obviously this was a very recent update so nobody is at fault, but it would be great to know if it's being worked on.

Thanks. 

User

30.10.2011 20:39:34
View

I just updated Plex and now I am desperate for the Remote Buddy update that supports it. Please help the community to get it as soon as possible. Thanks a lot for the great product!!! I always recomend it to my friends!

Marcio 

User

30.10.2011 21:22:01
View

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

With Plex 0.9.5, its developers decided that the app from now on would have the bundle identifier com.plexapp.plex instead of com.plexsquared.plex. As always, when an app changes its unique bundle identifier, it can no longer be recognized by its old, no longer in use, bundle identifier. That's why Plex could no longer be recognized by Remote Buddy.

Also, after spending some time with a packet logger, I found that some of the supported UDP commands changed slightly (f.ex. "Apple Remote" became "AppleRemote"). I adapted the Plex Behaviour to these changes as well and then ran compatibility tests for all commands supported by the Plex Behaviour. As it turned out, a few commands - like f.ex. "move to next display", "move to previous display" or "quit Plex" do no longer seem to work and/or be supported by the new Plex version. I removed these. If you have used the "Quit Plex" action, I suggest the action available under "Behaviours > Quit currently controlled application" as a replacement.

An updated version of the Plex Behaviour with support for the changes in Plex 0.9.5 - as far as I could identify them in such a short period of time - is now available via Remote Buddy's Online Updater (click "Check for updates.." in either Remote Buddy's menubar item's menu or at RB Prefs > Behaviour (lower right corner)).

Users of Remote Buddy Express - which, like any Mac App Store apps, may not contain an online updater - can manually download the updated version. Installation is as easy as downloading the file, unzipping it (if Safari didn't already do it for you) and then double-click it: 
http://static.iospirit.com/static/objectfiles/file/135/Plex.rbbehaviour.zip

Enjoy, and have a nice Sunday evening!

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

30.10.2011 21:43:45
View

Just downloaded the update! It works well for browsing so far, I hope all the specialty commands I use are still supported by Plex.

Great work and amazing turnaround and customer support! I love this product. 

User

30.10.2011 21:45:01
View

Works perfectly, thanks a bunch for the blazing speed solution. The lady of the house will surely appreciate it tomorrow when everything returns to normal :)

Thanks Felix! 

User

30.10.2011 21:54:00
View

Downloading to test and will report back with any issues, but a BIG thank you to Felix for getting a fix out so quickly (and on a weekend no less).

Truly fantastic customer support. 

User

31.10.2011 02:58:48
View

Just downloaded and it's working fine. Thanks for the amazingly fast solution and update! You guys rock! Great customer support... it makes worth the license value. keep up with the great work!

Last edited: 31.10.2011 03:00:08 

User

31.10.2011 14:33:32
View

Thank you for such an awesomely quick update, the new Plex is awesome, and wouldn't be complete without Remote Buddy working! 
User

31.10.2011 19:24:31
View

Thanks, Felix, for the new behavior. This made Remote Buddy (Express) functional for me again.

However, it seems there are some actions missing, like stopping a movie by pressing and holding the middle (select) button on the aluminum remote. Any chance you could update the behavior for full functionality some time? This would be highly appreciated.

Cheers, 
Edward 

User

31.10.2011 19:35:01
View

Thanks everybody for your kinds words! I really appreciate them.

@ Edward:

If you used the default mapping for Plex with previous versions - and now with version 0.9.5, this most likely is functionality that changed in Plex itself, which I can't do anything about.

In case you only hold the select button when you want to stop playback, what you could try is to go to Prefs > Mapping > Plex and select the "Stop" action for that button. That action worked in my tests yesterday.

Cheers, 
Felix 

User

31.10.2011 23:09:16
View

So I went ahead and updated both Plex and RB, but have now decided to go back to plex 9.3, but now RB doesn't work with that. Is there any way to get the old plex behavior back? 
User

01.11.2011 04:30:25
View

Anyone find their volume adjustment not working while playing a movie?

-Dominic 
(iMac/Apple Remote) 

User

01.11.2011 14:30:52
View

@Felix one more vote of thanks for the quick response.

@Dominic there's discussion going on here http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/31391-remote-buddy/

When I press up/down on the remote I see the volume icon in the top left but it doesn't change or accurately reflect the system volume so I'm guessing that's a bug in Plex not RB

User

01.11.2011 23:01:02
View

So I went ahead and updated both Plex and RB, but have now decided to go back to plex 9.3, but now RB doesn't work with that. Is there any way to get the old plex behavior back?

The updated behaviour still has support for previous versions of Plex. It determines which Plex version to control when you launch Remote Buddy though. If you launch Remote Buddy with Plex 0.9.5 installed - and then remove the new Plex version and install an older version - this will go unnoticed by the updated Behaviour: since it detected Plex 0.9.5 at launch, that's what it will target. The solution here is simply to restart Remote Buddy, so that the updated behaviour gets a chance to detect you're now using an older version - and then target that.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

03.11.2011 16:24:55
View

so it sounds like theres no way to have remote buddy operate both versions without having to restart it? the two versions of plex can operate independently from one another but remote buddy doesn't? just looking for clarification, thanks! 
User

07.11.2011 10:48:13
View

Thanks for the update, however, I still encounter a problem (of which I don't know if it's new to Plex 0.95 or the updated behaviour as I just started using both of them for the first ,time).

I find volume control in Plex to be a bit weird, so I tried to use Remote Buddy to assign "In-/Descrease system volume" to the up- and down buttons (if you hold these buttons). It works, but now the up and down buttons won't work anymore (to navigate up and down in Plex). 

User

18.11.2011 15:21:01
View

Thanks for your feedback.

An update to the Plex Behaviour is now available through the Remote Buddy Online Updater, addressing this issue.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

24.11.2011 17:58:57
View

Even with the latest RB and Plex behaviour installed, volume control does not work for me. Volume indicator shows up, but stays at 0.0dB. The only way to change the volume is by changing the system volume. Is that a Plex or RB issue?

Regards, 
André 

User

25.11.2011 10:58:01
View

Thanks for asking.

What actions did you assign to the buttons you use to control volume?

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

25.11.2011 11:07:40
View

I did not change anything with the key assignments. There is "Navigation: Up" and "Naviagtion: Down" assigned to the up/down buttons. Since the volume indicator shows up in Plex (but stays at 0.0dB), I think the actions are OK, Plex just does not change the volume. Anything else I should assign to the buttons?

Thanks, 
André

User

25.11.2011 13:45:01
View

Thanks for the info.

This is an issue within Plex itself then.

Remote Buddy's sole task here is to pass the button press to Plex (which, since you get visual feedback from Plex, is successful).

How Plex reacts to a button press it receives is entirely up to Plex. Remote Buddy is not involved in and has no influence here.

Best regards, 
Felix Schwarz 

User

29.11.2011 19:33:58
View

I wouldnt be so quick to call it PLex' fault. 
Apple remote works fine with plex IF remote buddy is uninstalled and remote preference is set to "always"

Unfortunately this is not gonna work as sole reason for even having remote buddy is to be able to jump from ONE app to ANOTHER ( Plex -> EyeTV and back )

PLease see if anything need to be changed within Remote Buddy because as it is Remote Buddy has to sit uninstalled for me to even use Plex. 

User

29.11.2011 23:22:01
View

Excuse me, but I'm not quick to call it Plex' fault. I simply know what Remote Buddy does - and what is within its sphere of influence - and what is not. This, clearly, is not.

Remote Buddy's "Navigation: …" actions sends UDP packets which basically say "button x pressed" and "button x released". The packets sent are _identical_ in content to those sent by Plex' own Apple Remote Helper. And that's where Remote Buddy's sphere of influence already ends.

Putting that button press into context - whether, f.ex. a press of the up button moves up an entry in a menu or triggers another action (like volume control) - and executing the appropriate action is taking place in Plex itself. IIRC Plex uses a bunch of XML files that, depending on input source, map incoming button and key presses to actions - and then executes them.

Since the problem here is not that Plex doesn't receive the button presses (which is the only part Remote Buddy is involved in - on the sending end), but instead that Plex doesn't execute the expected action in the expected fashion in response to receiving a button press event (and remember: mapping the received input event to a (re)action is solely Plex' task), the problem is clearly located in an area that's fully controlled by Plex itself - and which Remote Buddy is not involved in at all.

- Felix Schwarz

P.S.: If you want to route your remote's input through Plex' own Apple Remote Helper, you can use Remote Buddy's Virtual Remote to do so (http://www.iospirit.com/blog/article/131/Remote-Buddy-and-Boxee-Plex-and-XBMC/, 2nd question - regardless of whether you use a Harmony or not). 

User

02.12.2011 22:43:22
View

Felix, your hint with the Virtual Remote worked! Thank you so much, finally everything is working for me...

Give it a try, people, it only takes about 2 mins and your latest Plex is working with RB as before!

Thanks again, 
André

User

06.12.2011 10:10:49
View

Discussion ongoing at the Plex site:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/34249-laika-remote-buddy-solution/page__gopid__219507#entry219507