Support
All support resources for our products. Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions, discuss with other users, recover a lost license code or file a support request.
Forum closed
This forum was closed and turned into an archive effective April 21, 2018. It is no longer possible to create new topics or reply to existing topics.

Thanks everyone for all the great questions and contributions over the years.

Please use the Contact form to get in touch.

Remote Buddy Forum

Overview 

AuthorThread
User

15.01.2014 02:12:57
Re: Harmony Hub Bluetooth

This posting is older than 6 months and can contain outdated information.
Hi. I too am trying to use a Harmony Smart Control (aka hub) with Remote Buddy but the ideas on this thread haven't worked.

I can confirm that the Harmony is definitely identifying itself incorrectly as a "BD Remote Contol" and this does not match Remote Buddy's baked in signature "BD Remote Control"... 
$ strings "/Applications/Remote Buddy.app/Contents/MacOS/Remote Buddy" |grep "BD Remote Control"|wc -l 
yields 1. 
$ strings "/Applications/Remote Buddy.app/Contents/MacOS/Remote Buddy" |grep "BD Remote Contol"|wc -l 
yields 0. 
This is not configurable and is compiled into the binary so there's no way to change this.

The binary XML plist file people are mentioning here is ephemeral - it gets replaced by Mavericks constantly. 
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist 
is a binary XML plist file so you can edit it with TextEdit but not in-situ. I have tried copying it, editing the copy to fix the name typo, then replacing. 
The second you do this Mavericks replaces the file so there's no possibility of editing it, rebooting or otherwise.

Thirdly, unlike others on the thread, I have been able to pair my remote with Mavericks 10.9.1 using standard the Bluetooth Preference pane without issue; you just remove the device and repairing will be initiated by the Harmony hub next time you try to use the "Device" - you don't need to delete it from MyHarmony.com or reboot the hub.

Unfortunately, at no stage have I been able to get Remote Buddy to see or pair this device - whether paired or unpaired with the operating system.

It seems to me that the fastest likely fix here would be for Remote Buddy to add the malformed name for this device to its compatibility list.

Any chance of a comment on this please IOSpirit? I bought Remote Buddy specifically to be able to do this? 
And, I'd love to be wrong here about editing that plist file. Can anybody on this thread post something more specific that worked for them?

Thanks! 
Marc 

Thread-display::